Locate

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Locate

Postby T J Tulley on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:39 pm

The command locate according to its manual finds files by name from a database prepared by updatedb.

If I enter that as a command, I get: updatedb: can not open a temporary file for `/var/lib/mlocate/mlocate.db'

According to Notes in man locate, that is the path to the database searched by default. There are other notes about compatibility which I don't understand. How do I get locate to work, please?

With thanks in advance,
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Locate

Postby clem on Sat Nov 08, 2008 7:54 pm

Code: Select all
sudo updatedb

And you can also use "find" to list files with a particular filename, "search" to find files containing a particular keyword (you need the latest mintsystem from Romeo for this to work), "dpkg -L package" to list all the files coming with a particular package and "dpkg -S filename" to list the package containing a particular file.

PS: With the latest mintSystem, the last two commands can also be written as "apt content package" and "apt contains filename".

Clem.
clem
Level 15
Level 15

Re: Locate

Postby T J Tulley on Sat Nov 08, 2008 8:08 pm

Thanks Clem - I'm used to being asked "Are you root?" or something like that.
Yours hopefully -

Theo Tulley.
Using a PC with 2GB RAM, 3 hdds and a 1.7 GHz Celeron cpu.
T J Tulley
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions