Encryption issues and wifi solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Encryption issues and wifi solved

Postby Mellos on Sun Nov 09, 2008 2:26 am

Posting this in the newbie forums because I'm a terrible noob to Linux and I fear being given an overtly technical answer that I can't work with on the other forums.

So, I've gotten a working wifi module and I can connect to my network but I've run into a new problem: regardless of the encryption type used, Mint won't save the settings. I've tried both WPA and WPA2 on the off chance it might have been the type of encryption (saw a post somewhere suggesting that might make a difference). I've even reinstalled Mint due to a brief test of a Windows 7 beta.

Regardless of config changes, I get a message saying encryption needs to be enabled anytime I try to connect to a secured wireless network after a reboot. I've entered the encryption type, SSID, and password in the network configuration, which will let me connect to the network so long as I don't reboot. I've saved the configuration as Home since this is my home network but it makes no difference. Does anyone know how to correct this?

System information:
Mint 5 Elyssa XFCE CE
MSI Wind U100-016US
Replaced the standard RTL8187SE wifi module with an Intel Pro Wireless 3945
Mellos
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Encryption issues and wifi

Postby Husse on Sun Nov 09, 2008 4:31 pm

It seems that you do not use "Roaming mode" as you write I've saved the configuration as Home
In the same applet select "Roaming mode"
Next left click Network Manager and select your wifi, fill in the information and off you go
This remembers and is as far as I understand the most used method (and default)
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Mellos on Sun Nov 09, 2008 8:06 pm

Thank you much for taking the time to respond. I was unable to find any reference to roaming mode in the particular version of Mint I have. I checked in the System -> Network options, System -> Network Tools, and in the Wicd Manager. In looking for this, however, I stumbled upon some settings in Wicd Manager accessed via a button revealed by a small, rightward-pointing arrow next to my network name; there were some options here for setting encryption type and the key for the network. This appears to have solved the problem as it automatically connected my network when I tried restarting.

Is roaming mode for the main edition of Mint? I was unable to install that on my netbook so I'm using the XFCE CE; I'm not sure how that differs from the main edition.
Mellos
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Mon Nov 10, 2008 6:46 am

Ah - roaming mode exists at least in main and kde
Perhaps it is a Network Manager thing
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions