ATI driver

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

ATI driver

Postby robinh on Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:57 pm

I have installed Elyssa on a Compq Evo N610C. This comes with an ATI Mobility Radeon 7500 Graphics Controller with 32 MB of DDR video RAM. For some reason, Mint doesn't recognise this and is unable to install the appropriate driver for the graphics card. I can't get Compiz working. I tried using Envy but this wouldn't auto-detect the graphics card and I had to try and install the driver manually. This all went horribly wrong (probably my fault).

Mandriva got Compiz working straight out of the box. Ubuntu Intrepid managed to install the appropriate driver. Can anyone help me get this working please?

robinh
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: ATI driver

Postby knuckles on Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:03 pm

i do not know a perfect solution, but if it works on Intrepid Ibex, plaese wait a few days and download Mint 6 RC1, with that it schould work in the same way as in Intrepid Ibex.

A question, did you try it with Hary??
Sorry for my BAD English!!
knuckles
Level 3
Level 3

Postby robinh on Tue Nov 11, 2008 6:56 am

Thanks, I'll give Mint 6 a try.

I can't remember whether it worked on Hardy, it's quite a while since I loaded that on my laptop. I'll try it again and see what happens.

With Mint 5, I get an error message when I try to select the Extra Visual Effects. I did the same thing with Intrepid and it automatically installed something and suddenly my windows started wobbling. :D
robinh
Level 1
Level 1

Postby robinh on Sun Nov 16, 2008 5:56 am

I installed Felicia and everything worked perfectly. Thanks for the advice and for a wonderful distribution! :D
robinh
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions