[SOLVED] Change system keyboard layout to Colemak?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
inersha

[SOLVED] Change system keyboard layout to Colemak?

Post by inersha »

Is it possible to set Colemak as the default system keyboard layout?

I have it set as the keyboard layout in my desktop (XFCE) through the keyboard settings, but when I switch on my computer the login window uses qwerty. So it seems as though I've changed the keyboard layout for my desktop environment, but not for my entire computer system as default.

Do you know if I'm able to change the keyboard layout this way? Having to start with qwerty each time feels like getting off on the wrong foot ha.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
inersha

Re: Change system keyboard layout to Colemak?

Post by inersha »

Found the answer: I had to edit the /etc/default/keyboard file, then restart.

I changed it this part:

Code: Select all

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT=""
XKBOPTIONS=""
To this:

Code: Select all

XKBMODEL="pc105"
XKBLAYOUT="gb"
XKBVARIANT="colemak"
XKBOPTIONS=""
These links got me looking in the right direction:
mehimu

Re: [SOLVED] Change system keyboard layout to Colemak?

Post by mehimu »

Many many thanks for this question and solution

Return to “Beginner Questions”