Linux Mint versus Xubuntu

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Linux Mint versus Xubuntu

Postby Chetyre on Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:02 pm

Hey all, wasn't quite sure if this was the right place for this question but here goes--

A few months ago, I was looking to make a really old laptop I have more useful. I already have a nice desktop so if anything happened to the laptop I wouldn't be that concerned. Ah, I thought--A perfect opportunity to try out some flavor of linux! I partitioned the disk so I had separate drives for Windows, a swap, and one for actual data/files. Onto a fourth partition, I tried placing Xubuntu since I had heard it runs well on older systems. Now, Xubuntu does work...except it takes longer to boot into and I seem to have the same memory problems that I had in my windows partition. So, my question is this--how does Linux Mint compare to Xubuntu? What about Linux Mint XFCE edition? And if they'd run about the same, any ideas for what could be even better? :)

My basic specs are that it's a 800mhz processor with 128m ram. If you need more specifics I can boot it up and check.

Thanks!
Chetyre
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Linux Mint versus Xubuntu

Postby Husse on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:07 am

128m ram

I'm sorry but that is terribly little today...
I'm surprised you got Xubuntu to run on that
It's so little memory that something has to be swapped out all the time
Our Fluxbox edition needs about 196 MB which is the smallest
For such an old machine something like DamnSmallLinux might be useful
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Zwopper on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:44 am

CrunchBang Linux and Zenwalk Linux works fine on my to oldest laptops - PIII 800 & 933 with 128Mb each.
The fastest one so far though is SliTaz - give them all a spin and see which is the best for your machine.
...and then of course there's AntiX...
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby linux virgin on Wed Nov 12, 2008 6:43 am

i have had xubuntu running on an older system than the one above tosihba satalite pro with a 233mhz p2 cpu and 95mb of ram and it wasa running fine
linux virgin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:14 am

Zwopper wrote:CrunchBang Linux

Very interesting ... I think I'll give this a whirl :)
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby nuttymango on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:30 pm

Linux Mint 5 Elyssa is running well on my old PIII Coppermine 800Mhz with 192MB or RAM. I'm dual booting with Dreamlinux, testing both to see what works on old hardware. Firefox bogs down when I open a lot of tabs but it's useable. Opera may end up being a better browser choice. Some distros I may try include Vector LInux, Mandriva with LXDE and gOS with LXDE.
nuttymango
Level 1
Level 1

Postby simta on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:54 pm

HP Pavillion DV6174ea - Elyssa x64
simta
Level 1
Level 1

Postby nitehawk on Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:16 pm

Puppy Linux!
nitehawk
Level 2
Level 2

Postby nuttymango on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:26 am

Chetyre wrote:So, my question is this--how does Linux Mint compare to Xubuntu? What about Linux Mint XFCE edition? And if they'd run about the same, any ideas for what could be even better? :)

My basic specs are that it's a 800mhz processor with 128m ram. If you need mre specifics I can boot it up and check.

Thanks!

My last post didn't answer your question very well so I'll try again. The Xubuntu installer wouldn't run to completion on my PIII Coppermine laptop with 192MB or RAM. It was months ago and I don't remember the details. I moved on to Puppy Linux and a Slax-based distro. Both ran adequately but the included browsers (Seamonkey and Konqueror) slowed and crashed with more that 7 browser tabs open. With a little more RAM, Puppy would have been a keeper.

Now I'm dual booting Mint 5 Elyssa with XFCE and Dreamlinux. Both are impressive. Both run Firefox with fewer problems but I still experience slowdowns and crashes due to only having 192MB of RAM. My recommendation would be MInt XFCE and try Opera as your browser.

128MB really seems to be the bottom limit these days but with some tweaking, it might work with Mint, Puppy, or Dreamlinux.
nuttymango
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions