[SOLVED] video file icon

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

[SOLVED] video file icon

Postby SiKing on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:39 am

I think I broke something.
It used to be that when I opened a folder that contains video files (various formats) in Nautilus I would get icons of the video itself for each of the files. This no longer happens, I just get the default video reel icon. Is it the "Movie Player (xine)" or whatever that used to be that gives this functionality? I uninstalled it for the VLC media player, which I like better. Or is it something entirely different?
TIA for any help.
Last edited by SiKing on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: video file icon

Postby Husse on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:20 am

It could be that you removed Movie Player (xine) because I see that installing totem/xine is recommended as a solution to this
That and that you remove everything in the folder
/home/your_username/.thumbnails/fail
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby SiKing on Tue Nov 11, 2008 4:03 pm

Husse wrote:It could be that you removed Movie Player (xine) because I see that installing totem/xine is recommended as a solution to this

Yes, that I did. I reinstalled it (it being "totem-xine") back, but still nothing with regards to the icons. :( Odd thing is: I see no additional entry under the menu Applications > Sound & Video ... I'm still missing something.
I even changed Preferred Applications to totem, and still nothing.

Husse wrote:That and that you remove everything in the folder
/home/your_username/.thumbnails/fail

I left the thumbnails directory alone, and so I still get to see all the icons from before. Just the news ones do not change.
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Postby SiKing on Tue Nov 11, 2008 8:26 pm

Oh, you have to reboot the machine first. How very ... Windows. :oops:
SiKing
Level 5
Level 5

Return to Newbie Questions