Using an existing home dir

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Using an existing home dir

Postby poha on Tue Nov 11, 2008 2:51 pm

I've got Ubuntu 7.10 on a different drive. It has my appointments, email, bookmarks and other important information that I'd like to move to Mint. Most likely, I'll move it to a new drive. I've just installed Mint so I haven't put anything in it's home except whatever is entered by the system.

Any help here is appreciated.
Thanks,
poha
poha
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Using an existing home dir

Postby 100th Idiot on Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:58 pm

If your Ubuntu OS is still bootable then perhaps the easiest way is to start Ubuntu and export the data from your applications to files on a USB memory device. Then start Mint and import the data into the new applications. Certainly Firefox and Thunderbird have export functions. I'm not an Evolution so I'm less certain about that but I would be surprised if there was not an export command.
100th Idiot
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Using an existing home dir

Postby BlindGuineaPig on Thu Nov 20, 2008 7:56 pm

Is your /home directory on a separate hard drive/partition from your installs? If so you could just choose to mount your old /home device as /home when you're installing Mint. This should also be possible to accomplish afterwards by changing what device is mounted as /home in /etc/fstab but I suspect that could create some general badness. I dunno, I'm a noob. Anyways, I wouldn't go with the second option unless I'm in the mood for some excitement :P
Eager to learn, quick to forget.
BlindGuineaPig
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions