checking the ISO

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

checking the ISO

Postby Earthpaladin on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:33 am

Greetings,

So I have downloaded mint linux. Now I believe I need to check the ISO. However, I'm on windows xp. The program md5 webpage page says to go to command prompt, and use the command line but I havent' had much success with that. I get a
'md5sum' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Personally, I was kind of hoping I could install it directly to my harddrive and set it up to dual boot. The user guide said it would automatically do that. I guess I was kind of thinking of well. Live and learn. I think I need to switch directories. If someone could tell me which commands I should use for xp.
Earthpaladin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: checking the ISO

Postby kansasnoob on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:44 am

Look here for general instructions:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=290339

Here for the md5sum of the new Mint 6 RC:

http://www.linuxmint.com/blog/?p=430

MD5Sum: ad4b630889b53aeba99aaa82d7b4bb41
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby kansasnoob on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:46 am

kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby Earthpaladin on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:10 pm

1. Open WMD5Sum and click on the triple dotted button and choose the image/ISO file. If Cassandra, file is entitled "LinuxMint-3.0.iso", for Celena it is entitled "LinuxMint-3.1 iso and Daryna will be entitled "LinuxMint-4.0.iso

Okay I can't even open the program.
Earthpaladin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby merlwiz79 on Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:57 pm

I use md5summer to check the md5sum of isos on windows.
http://www.md5summer.org/
No install just double click the exe and select the iso.
Then you click ok and it will show the md5sum after a min.
merlwiz79
Level 11
Level 11

Postby Earthpaladin on Wed Nov 12, 2008 8:08 pm

That's a different site, so I downloaded it. Then I went to where I put my programs. I right clicked on it and it wouldn't open. I think something might have opened for something like a second.
Earthpaladin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Earthpaladin on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:10 am

I think I may just buy the a cd with mint linux on it. It may be less hastle.
Earthpaladin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Earthpaladin on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:30 pm

Waiting till payday to buy a mint linux cd.
Earthpaladin
Level 1
Level 1

Postby pluraldave on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:30 pm

There's really no need to have to buy a CD, especially if you have to wait to be paid to do so. DId you download the MD5Summer self-extractor?
http://www.md5summer.org/md5v12005.exe

If not download it and navigate to the folder you saved it in. Double click the file and choose "unzip" from the list of options. Leave everything at the default values and you will now have two new files called "mdsummer" in the same folder (with a 3d version of the same icon).

Hover your mouse over each of the two MDsummer files in turn. One will say "Windows MD5 sum generator" and one will say Windows MD5 checksum container". Double click the one labelled "Windows MD5 sum generator".

In the md5 program box that appears select the folder your linux mint .iso file is saved in. Click the "Create Sums" button.

Highlight your .iso file from the list in the left hand panel. Click "add" so that it appears in the right hand panel and hit "OK".

When the program has finished computing the MD5 sum of the .iso a save dialogue will appear. Just hit cancel as you don't need it.

You should now have a line in the MD5 program box that has the name of your .iso in the left hand column and an MD5 sum in the right hand column (labelled "hash"). Check if this MD5 sum matches the sum given by the mirror you downloaded the file from.

If the MD5 sums do not match delete your .iso and download a new one.
If the MD5 sums do match burn the .iso to a CD (or DVD if you downloaded the KDE community edition) at a low speed (if your CD/DVD burning program gives you the option).
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions