Sybolic Link Maybe? Sharing File Issue

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Drake2k

Sybolic Link Maybe? Sharing File Issue

Post by Drake2k »

So I have this little computer I setup with Linux Mint. When I say little, I mean LITTLE. I have a USB hard drive that's a pretty large that I use to store all my music, videos, all things fun. What I would like to do (if it can be done) is this.

The computer sits in the corner turned on but not logged into any user.

I want to be able to have that drive plugged into the computer via USB and shared so that I can map it from not only my other linux computers but my *cough* windows computer as well. Can this be done?

Here's the next level. It runs an FTP server that I use to grab files off of it when I'm not home so that I can eventually use my phone to stream...ok don't worry about that. What I was wondering is if I when I log into the ftp server from outside, can I CD to the hard drive I have plugged in??

I dunno, seems reasonable enough to me.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
miket

Re: Sybolic Link Maybe? Sharing File Issue

Post by miket »

Hi !
Drake2k wrote:So I have this little computer I setup with Linux Mint. When I say little, I mean LITTLE. I have a USB hard drive that's a pretty large that I use to store all my music, videos, all things fun. What I would like to do (if it can be done) is this.

The computer sits in the corner turned on but not logged into any user.

I want to be able to have that drive plugged into the computer via USB and shared so that I can map it from not only my other linux computers but my *cough* windows computer as well. Can this be done?
Use NFS to share the drive out to your UNIX systems and then install and configure Samba to share the drive out to your windows machines.
This is all very normal practice ;)
Here's the next level. It runs an FTP server that I use to grab files off of it when I'm not home so that I can eventually use my phone to stream...ok don't worry about that. What I was wondering is if I when I log into the ftp server from outside, can I CD to the hard drive I have plugged in??
I dunno, seems reasonable enough to me.
There is no reason why you can't issue a CD command via your FTP client, you just need to make sure the USB drive is mounted before hand,
this can be done easily from the command line via an ssh session, use lsusb to check the drive is plugged in and then blkid to get the device name and then
just issue a mount command, or just make sure it is mounted all the time via the fstab file in /etc.

Let us know how you get on ...

Mike.

Return to “Beginner Questions”