Excessively Wide (Long) Icon Names on Cinnamon Desktop

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
jgh
Level 1
Level 1

Excessively Wide (Long) Icon Names on Cinnamon Desktop

Post by jgh »

On my desktop, I have created a new icon, with a name 'Link to Downloads', which appears all on one line: and is too long for icon grid arrangement (I have 'keep aligned' option for desktop ticked), so overlaps part of the name of the adjacent icon. Another icon I have with a long name 'Link to My Documents' is split (after 'My') into two lines,

What can I change so that the name 'Link to Downloads' (and any similar) are split over two lines to fit the standard grid? Is there a 'max length' setting somewhere (and if so where)?

My system: Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 32-bit, Cinnamon version 2.4.5, Kernel 3.13.0-24-generic
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Cosmo.
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Excessively Wide (Long) Icon Names on Cinnamon Desktop

Post by Cosmo. »

Try this:
Open the nemo settings. On the first page activate the setting to give all columns the same width.
roblm
Level 15
Level 15

Post by roblm »

jgh,

Right click on the icon and select "Rename". Place the cursor after the word "to" and keep pressing the spacebar until the word "Downloads" drops to the second line.
jgh
Level 1
Level 1

Post by jgh »

Thanks - changing the nemo settings (once I'd found them, and realised I also had to use compact layout) did the trick

Return to “Beginner Questions”