iphone 3g

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

iphone 3g

Postby marshatherton on Wed Nov 12, 2008 5:17 pm

hey i tried getting this answered in another section, but i just bought an iphone. i love it, but i cant get my music on my pc (linux mint) to sync with it. any ideas? yeas i did search the net, didnt find anything
marshatherton
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: iphone 3g

Postby res_au on Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:56 pm

hi marshatherton,

I've got my iphone 3g (2.1) to sync with a virtual windows (works with vmware (very easily), and with virtualbox (with a bit of work))

I'd recommend using vmware, it seems to sync much faster (nearly as fast as natively), and is much less work to get apples strange usb work (i.e. no work).

ImageImage
res_au
Level 1
Level 1

Postby marshatherton on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:15 pm

ok how do i get it?
marshatherton
Level 1
Level 1

Postby celtic426 on Mon Nov 17, 2008 1:09 am

Just go and download VMware or VirtualBox. I would acutally recommend virtualbox cause there's only one version for linux (I think), and it was easy to install. Once you install it, you need to create a new virtual machine and install XP on it (do you have a windows xp cd or iso image?).
celtic426
Level 1
Level 1

Postby marshatherton on Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:42 pm

thats a negative on the xp. i can get a bootleg copy called xp dark. but does the other program cost money? cause its kind of an issue
marshatherton
Level 1
Level 1

Postby locutus on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:16 pm

VirtualBox is free, and in the repositories. VMware-reader is free, but it will only read (use) already existing installations. However, I'm pretty sure you can create one in VirtualBox and VMware will read it fine (I think, but I'm pretty sure). VirtualBox is very east to set up. XP Dark: never heard of it. Do you know if it's trustworthy ie: not packaged with all kinds of crapware?
locutus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby marshatherton on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:43 pm

i used it before with no problems on my roomates laptop. it worked just fine on there. its actually a combination of xp and vista (god help it), that does updates. ok so ill work on seeing if i can get virtualbox tonight. any special instructions on downloading it? (im not linux-friendly at all)
marshatherton
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions