which window manager am i using?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

which window manager am i using?

Postby Theleo on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:35 am

Hi all
This is my fist attempt with linux mint(elyssa).Relatively new to the linux world.
I guess it sounds bad like asking what car am i driving but well... here it goes.
Through the startup scripts i found that i am using gdm as my display manager.
I found a bunch of files most dominant to hide the secret i want beeing /etc/gdm/gdm.conf but nothing.
Using ps there are lot of process that begin with gnome so my desktop is gnome i think.But if i am correct
gnome does not come with metacity as a default but can come with any window manager depending
on the distribution.

Since i am on the subject how can i change the default window manager,which is the configuration file that i need?
,just like to play around with the x windows system for the moment in order to understand how it works.
Theleo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: which window manager am i using?

Postby msuggs on Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:50 am

Gnome does come with Metacity by default although if your graphics card will support it Mint will turn on Compiz for extra effects instead. You can check this by right clicking on the desktop and choosing 'Change Desktop Background'

Click on the Visual Effects tab.

None = Metacity
Normal, Extra and Custom = Compiz
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Theleo on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:01 pm

Indeed it is compiz,thanks omns.
But how would i go around changing that?

p.s i would like to do it using the terminal.
Theleo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:34 pm

Theleo wrote:But how would i go around changing that?

That would depend on what you want to change it to. Is it just window managers or File managers as well you're after. Which ones?
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Theleo on Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:36 pm

Just the window manager haven't yet worried my self about choosing a file manager.(though i was not now i am thinking about it as well but don't think that a file manager would make such a noticeable difference in my GUI experience).

My goal is to install a bunch of window managers configure gdm to list them in the login screen try them and see which one feels better.
Though compiz feels good i d like to taste them all.I am sure there must be a distribution that has the ability to choose between 10s of windows
managers at the login screen but i want to built it my self on my system.Thanks omns
Theleo
Level 1
Level 1

Postby msuggs on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:58 am

You can install many window managers/desktop environments with the package manager. Aside from the default ones in gnome there is xfce, icewm, kde and fluxbox to name a few. Once installed they automatically add themselves to the GDM login manager and you can choose them by clicking on the sessions button before logging in.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Theleo on Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:04 am

consider it solved thanks omns.
Theleo
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions