Pen drive problem in mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Pen drive problem in mint

Postby anthony2010 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:56 pm

Hi.

I did the stupedest thing and pulled out a pen drive without dismounting it. I know, I know :)

Any way I can no longer open a file thats massively important to my degree. It was saved as a .doc, then it was opened in mint using open office, I read it, made no alterations to it, and closed office then pulled out the drive.

The question is, Can I get this file back?
anthony2010
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Pen drive problem in mint

Postby Husse on Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:23 pm

No problems I hope
Install testdisk from Synaptic
The program photorec is included and that's an application that can salvage most anything, I've actually used it for mp3 files after the same mistake
When you have salvaged your important file(s) you can use testdisk to repair the file system - I can't guarantee success there but if you read carefully and do the right thing there's a good chance
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby Cambo105 on Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:52 pm

Best of luck to you!

To avoid anything like this, I save every important document in 5 separate places. My main HDD, usb drive, I upload it via mint upload and email the link to myself with the file itself attached as well and then upload it to my FTP account. This way it is saved in two physical locations I have access to and three that are out in cyberspace. It may seem a little excessive, but why risk it? If I spent days or weeks possibly working on something, I'd hate to loose it to a hardware malfunction.
Keep your stick on the ice.

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Cambo105
Level 3
Level 3

Postby anthony2010 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:42 am

Thanks guys.

The folly of my ways has been noted :) Test disk it is and loads of backup in future.

Thanks again.

Anthony.
anthony2010
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions