a basic gnome or kde question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

a basic gnome or kde question

Postby Paulgr on Thu Nov 13, 2008 10:01 pm

I've only been using mint for a couple of weeks now and I'm still not real sure about kde or gnome. I've done searches in the synaptic package manager that list both kde and gnome programs. When I select "about" from the Elyssa icon at the bottom of my desktop it says: GNOME menu for linux mint. Will I only be able to install the gnome programs from the synaptic package manager?
Paulgr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: a basic gnome or kde question

Postby FedoraRefugee on Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:46 pm

Not at all! You can install any program listed in synaptic (or any open source program for that matter) in any environment. But...Here is a small warning; Most times the program for the opposite desktop environment will pull in many additional programs called dependencies. It will do this automatically, and really doesnt cause any problems, but some "purists" (especially in the Gnome camp) do not like running all those KDE libraries required to run the KDE apps. Usually, if you take the time to research they type of app you want to install you will find several apps to chose from so you can easily stay away from doing this if you do not like the idea.

Personally, I run Xfce and for the most part I like small, single purpose apps such as audacious for a music player or soundjuicer for a ripper, but there are Gnome and KDE apps I insist on, such as K3b which cannot be beat and I am partial to ksnapshot for some strange reason. Really, with today's hardware this is hardly a factor. Install it and enjoy. :)
FedoraRefugee
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions