Downloading email causes my system to crash

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Downloading email causes my system to crash

Postby Peterburd on Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:58 am

I don't know if it's been brought up before, let me know if it has, but here's the deal.

The first time I download email from Evolution everything's fine. But if I try to download again, and there IS new mail waiting for me, the system crashes and I go back to Mint's login screen. When I log back in, the offending email is there, safely downloaded.

So I said "Down with Evolution!" and went back to Thunderbird. And guess what? The exact same thing happens. Crash.

The weird thing is that when, after logging in, I can send and receive mails with absolutely no problem, ONCE. It's when I try it again, and, I repeat, when there's NEW mail to download. If there's no new messages nothing happens.

If you need more info on this, please let me know, and tell me how to find it. Some log somewhere? I'm a newbie, after all.

Peter
Peterburd
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Downloading email causes my system to crash

Postby kenny5445 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:37 pm

Try looking in /var/log/messages which is the system default log file for any clues..

Thanks

Kenny
kenny5445
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Peterburd on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:19 am

Thanks for the tip, Kenny. When I look at that log, after deliberately crashing things again, I get these three extra lines:

Nov 14 21:58:40 peter-desktop pulseaudio[31757]: pid.c: Stale PID file, overwriting.
Nov 14 21:58:40 peter-desktop pulseaudio[31757]: alsa-util.c: Device front:0 doesn't support 44100 Hz, changed to 48000 Hz.
Nov 14 21:58:40 peter-desktop pulseaudio[31757]: alsa-util.c: Cannot find fallback mixer control "PCM".

What on Earth does alsa have to do with my bloomin' email problems????
Peterburd
Level 1
Level 1

Postby kenny5445 on Sat Nov 15, 2008 4:20 am

They are all sound related issues if I'm correct. Long shot but could it be having issues playing back the new mail sound??? (thats just a complete guess but worth trying to disable it)....
kenny5445
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Peterburd on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:55 pm

That's a thought, but I'm not running sounds on my email programs, at least that I'm aware of ... I certainly don't hear any ...
Peterburd
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions