Problem with wireless (partially solved)

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Problem with wireless

Post by JeremyB »

egolatra wrote:Ok, i rebooted and it seems to work, but i have to check if it never radonmly disconnects again. Then i suppose i will have to mark the topic as solved and it will help more people.
I guess i have the new drivers installed. ¿can i delete the rtlwifi_new and bakported folders in my home directory if everything works fine?

Thanks for your time jeremmy , i really appreciate your help
SInce you don't intend to ever change kernel, you can delete them
egolatra

Post by egolatra »

the problem installing the new drivers is that the old driver for my usb wifi connection has been deleted and the wifi usb is not recognized nevermore. But the realtek card works better now so i guess y will never need the usb wifi again, so i will not miss it
Last edited by egolatra on Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
egolatra

Post by egolatra »

well, after some hours of testing, I can consider the problem solved. It is like the speed connection is a bit slower now, may be is due to my modem,may be it's a wrong impression, i don't know why. But, it never disconnects again and that's a very good improvment. It definetly runs better with the new driver from the backport respositories.
Thanks again
¿How can i mark the problem as solved?
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Re: Problem with wireless

Post by JeremyB »

egolatra wrote:well, after some hours of testing, I can consider the problem solved. It is like the speed connection is a bit slower now, may be is due to my modem,may be it's a wrong impression, i don't know why. But, it never disconnects again and that's a very good improvment. It definetly runs better with the new driver from the backport respositories.
Thanks again
¿How can i mark the problem as solved?
Just edit the topic in your original post to add [SOLVED]
egolatra

Post by egolatra »

yes, the slowness was due to another thing. Not to the new driver

Problem 100% solved
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Post by JeremyB »

egolatra wrote:yes, the slowness was due to another thing. Not to the new driver

Problem 100% solved
Good to hear finally
egolatra

Re: Problem with wireless[SOLVED]

Post by egolatra »

Problemas again. Linux Mint does not even recognize the wireless card now.One day I just booted my pc , and...wireless does not exist ¡¡¡
JeremyB
Level 21
Level 21

Re: Problem with wireless[SOLVED]

Post by JeremyB »

egolatra wrote:Problemas again. Linux Mint does not even recognize the wireless card now.One day I just booted my pc , and...wireless does not exist ¡¡¡
Is your kernel still 3.2.0-23?

Code: Select all

uname -a
Either way I would ruun the commands again from http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.p ... 20#p974596

Is there a wifi switch that may have been bumped to off? Check

rfkill list all
for a hard block: yes for wireless, and if it is a soft block: yes try the keyboard combo- FN + another F key
egolatra

Post by egolatra »

i've found the solution in another topic

if my wirless does not load at startup, just enter the code:

$ sudo service network-manager stop
$ sudo rm /var/lib/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.state
$ sudo service network-manager start
egolatra

Re: Problem with wireless (partially solved)

Post by egolatra »

i think i'll try to install the wireless windows drivers. Nothing has worked fine
Should i uninstall the current ones first?
egolatra

Post by egolatra »

everytime i boot with LM is a total mess: sound does not work, wireless does not work, etc, etc...
panorain
Level 5
Level 5

Post by panorain »

What is the current output of the following command in Bash terminal on the machine?

inxi -N
Thanks,
Linux Mint 21.2 Victoria
Always =updatedb=
GNU/LINUX

Return to “Beginner Questions”