wait for 6 or install 5?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

wait for 6 or install 5?

Postby res_au on Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:51 pm

Hi, been reading up on mint and want to change from ubuntu 8.10. I realize I need to start from scratch, my question is, can I install 5 now with it updating to 6 when the final is released? Or should I wait and just install the final when it's released?

Any help appreciated!
res_au
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: wait for 6 or install 5?

Postby mmesantos1 on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:00 pm

From what I have read in the Mint forums Clem plans on releasing a method to upgrade from 5 to 6. Also read that there is to be a upgrade from Mint 6 RC to final release. :)
mmesantos1
Level 8
Level 8

Postby exploder on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:06 pm

Since Ubuntu 8.10 is currently running on your hardware, Mint 6 should run fine. I would not think that there will be any drastic changes in the final release. Nearly all of the bugs found are from upstream and normal updates should eventually take care of things. The decision is of course yours to make. Give the Live CD a go and then decide what you would like to run.
exploder
Level 15
Level 15

Postby res_au on Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:46 am

thanks heaps! Downloading 6 now
res_au
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions