Trash wont emply

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Trash wont emply

Postby h_ryan503 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 2:17 am

So I can't get my trash to empty. I've tried all the obvious ( I think ) by right clicking and telling it to, and also pressing the button when I have the trash window open but it keeps one empty folder in there and doesn't delete it. It doesn't give any errors or anything, just sits there. When I right click on the folder itself and say to delete it does come up with an error that says

"Error removing file: Directory not empty"

However the directory is empty, and besides I'm trying to delete it all so I dont understand what the issue is.
h_ryan503
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trash wont emply

Postby focus_water on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:00 am

Code: Select all
sudo thunar ~/.local/share/Trash/files/

change thunar to what ever file manager you use. eg: nautilus
You should be able to delete the folder manually.
focus_water
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Trash wont emply

Postby h_ryan503 on Sun Nov 16, 2008 3:12 am

Thank you, that worked. I'm not sure what cause the issue but it freed almost 500mb on my system. Thats weird because the folder originally only had about 160mb of pictures in it. Either way, thank you.
h_ryan503
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions