Getting Linix Mint to work on a MacBook

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Getting Linix Mint to work on a MacBook

Postby kragof on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:37 am

Hello this is my first time using any sort of Ubuntu. I am trying Linux Mint first because a friend recommended it to me. I am putting it on my MacBook. Here are the steps i've taken so far and i need help getting the rest to work. Please bare with my technical terms, i have no idea what them mean. I made a partition using Disk Utilities. I downloaded Linix Mint and burned it to a blank disk. When i run run the disk, it logs onto a "live preview session"-i think thats what its called- anyways then i double clicked on the install icon and its started to run fine. My friend helped me make sure i was using the right partition and got the "swap area" for free space. Then i hit install and it gets to about 90% and then an error pops up. Error: Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed. This is a fatal error. Then it fails and quits the download. So how do i fix this problem? Any help would be really helpful and i appreciate the effort.

Please correct me if anything i've said is wrong. As i stated above, this is the first time i've used this and not sure of anything.

Thanks in advance.
kragof
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Getting Linix Mint to work on a MacBook

Postby miket on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi,

Do you have OS X on this machine as well ?
If so, then there is a special procedure you need to perform to make the two co-exist.
If you search on Google or the Ubuntu forums you will find it quite easily.

Mike.

kragof wrote:Hello this is my first time using any sort of Ubuntu. I am trying Linux Mint first because a friend recommended it to me. I am putting it on my MacBook. Here are the steps i've taken so far and i need help getting the rest to work. Please bare with my technical terms, i have no idea what them mean. I made a partition using Disk Utilities. I downloaded Linix Mint and burned it to a blank disk. When i run run the disk, it logs onto a "live preview session"-i think thats what its called- anyways then i double clicked on the install icon and its started to run fine. My friend helped me make sure i was using the right partition and got the "swap area" for free space. Then i hit install and it gets to about 90% and then an error pops up. Error: Executing 'grub-install (hd0)' failed. This is a fatal error. Then it fails and quits the download. So how do i fix this problem? Any help would be really helpful and i appreciate the effort.

Please correct me if anything i've said is wrong. As i stated above, this is the first time i've used this and not sure of anything.

Thanks in advance.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kragof on Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:46 pm

Well yes i do have OS X.

And i have looked on google and i tried the ubuntu forums, and they told me to try this forum.

So any help you can provide will be really nice and i would REALLY appreciate it.
kragof
Level 1
Level 1

Postby miket on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:15 pm

Hi !

kragof wrote:Well yes i do have OS X.

And i have looked on google and i tried the ubuntu forums, and they told me to try this forum.

So any help you can provide will be really nice and i would REALLY appreciate it.

I did a simple google search and there a loads of references.
One that seems to be exactly what you want is this one : http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=452262

The search I used on google was: macbook os x ubuntu how to

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kragof on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:24 pm

I checked into that site you linked, but its not quite what i was looking for. Thanks for trying man, but i am looking for a way to get Linux Mint working on it not Ubuntu Feisty (or whatever that guy wanted). I can run the live cs session of Linux Mint 5, but during installation it fails at 94% with the error message: Executing 'grub-install (hd0) - failed' Fatal Error. And then the install crashes or something. And i can't get it any further. I'm still open to any help i can get with my problem.
kragof
Level 1
Level 1

Postby italianbella on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:32 pm

I just put Linux Mint on a mac book yesterday. I had to remove the OS X from my machine to get it to install properly. according to my understanding the two cannot be dual booted, simply because Mac does not play nicely with Linux.
However the install process went really smoothly. As in my f4, f5 volume keys still functioned.
Other issues once I had it installed were getting the wireless to work, but once I found the correct driver it was really easy. ( incase you need to know I am using madwifi)

s.
italianbella
Level 1
Level 1

Postby miket on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:36 pm

Hello ...

kragof wrote:I checked into that site you linked, but its not quite what i was looking for. Thanks for trying man, but i am looking for a way to get Linux Mint working on it not Ubuntu Feisty (or whatever that guy wanted). I can run the live cs session of Linux Mint 5, but during installation it fails at 94% with the error message: Executing 'grub-install (hd0) - failed' Fatal Error. And then the install crashes or something. And i can't get it any further. I'm still open to any help i can get with my problem.

Well what do you think Linux Mint is ?
Mint is based on Ubuntu, the procedure is exactly the same for the two !!
It works perfectly here for me .... I think you need to do some more reading and understand what it is you are working with ;))

Mike.
miket
Level 5
Level 5

Postby kragof on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:38 am

Well i'm new at using Linux/Ubuntu. I ready that Linux comes from Ubuntu and that the 2 are very similar, but i didn't know that Linix Mint was Ubuntu Feisty.

S did you ever try reinstalling OSX after Linux was on or the 2 can't even be on together? If you can reinstall OSX after Linux was on then that will be my LAST resort, because i still have a ton of programs and music that i don't want to throw away with OSX.
kragof
Level 1
Level 1

Postby italianbella on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:38 pm

I haven't tried to reload osx. My college has a pretty good Linux/ GNU/Ubuntu/KDE support group, and from everyone I've talked to there it seems pretty impossible to dual boot with OSX. The advice I was given was just to make sure that you had your osx software available incase Mint really didn't work out with my machine. Thusfar things seem mostly fine. a few small glitches. but nothing unmanageable.
Although I believe there is a program called wine (?) which allows you to run osx applications through linux.
I'm not totally sure though.

Let me know if you manage to dual boot though,
s.
italianbella
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions