sudden problems printing to cups pdf, favorites[SOLVED]

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

sudden problems printing to cups pdf, favorites[SOLVED]

Postby mwilliams on Mon Nov 17, 2008 9:24 pm

I have been using Elyssa for several months with no problem and all of a sudden today I have several problems. If this was Windows I would think I have a virus. Here are my problems:
1. My favorites have disappeared. If I now try to save to favorites in the mint menu, I get the following error message:
Couldn't save favorites. Check if you have write access to ~/.linuxmint/mintMenu
([Errno 28] No space left on device)
I have plenty of disk space.
2. I can no longer print to the cups pdf printer. I need this because I can't find a driver for my Canon mx850. I print to pdf, send it to a shared folder, and print from a Virtualbox XP installation. When I try to print, it makes a file of garbage that the viewer can't open. Evince gives me data error 2.
3. Tomboy notes won't load on boot.
I have rebooted many times but these problems persist. Can anyone help?
The only thing that happened today is the screen resolution went to 640 x 480 because the monitor cable was loose and I guess the system could not recognize the monitor. I manually set it to LCD at 1280 x 1024, and when I located the cable problem, secured it. Nothing else has changed as far as I know.
thanks in advance

mikew
Last edited by mwilliams on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
mwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: sudden problems printing to cups pdf, favorites disappear...

Postby Husse on Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:00 am

([Errno 28] No space left on device)

The errors seem consistent with that - are you sure you have lots of space?
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mwilliams on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:59 pm

Husse

I think you are correct. I think I am out of space on the partition where mint is installed. I can't seem to find what is taking up the space. I have a separate data partition and use symbolic links to make sure Documents, etc in home is linked to a similar folder in /data/[user]. I used Disk Use Analyzer and it shows that my 21GB partition is 99% full but I the file sizes don't account for this. In the preferences, where you are allowed to select disks to scan, there is something called .gvfs that is the same size as the used portion of the partition.

I just installed Ubuntu 8.10 on another partition of the same size and it only takes up 3.8GB and I don't see the .gvfs entry in the preferences of Disk Use Analyzer. Any ideas?
mwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Husse on Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:22 pm

gvfs is GnomeVirtualFileSystem or gvfs is a userspace virtual filesystem
This helps to facilitate networking but it can create problems occasionally
If you have gvfs mentioned in /etc/fstab remove it - but you probably don't have that
So
Code: Select all
sudo umount gvfs-fuse-daemon

Then remove the hidden gvfs file and check that there is not one in roots' home as well
You may be interested to know that in /etc/mtab you have a line like this
gvfs-fuse-daemon /home/your_username/.gvfs fuse.gvfs-fuse-daemon rw,nosuid,nodev,user=your_username 0 0
This daemon is not mounted by fstab
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby mwilliams on Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:11 am

Solved! Thanks Husse!
I didn't remove gvfs. I finally found the offending files (large dvd images) and removed them. Everything started working as normal. After having difficulty locating where the problem was using df, du, and Disk Usage Analyzer, I installed KDirStat. Even though this is a KDE program, it works fine in gnome and has a nice gui and features.

About 4 days spent to do a 15 minute fix. I won't let that one happen again.
mwilliams
Level 1
Level 1

Re: sudden problems printing to cups pdf, favorites[SOLVED]

Postby Husse on Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:22 pm

I'm glad it's fixed
It's so easy to walk along a road and not look at the cross roads ....
Much of the help in the forum is to get another perspective of things...
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions