Adjust Screen Brightness with 'Fn" key?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Adjust Screen Brightness with 'Fn" key?

Postby Jace on Tue Nov 18, 2008 6:41 am

I'm running Elyssa on my Vaio and I can't adjust the brightness level of my screen with the 'Fn+F5' shortcut combo that Sony used originally. But, I can use the appropriate Fn combo for volume control. Can somebody point me in the right direction? Thanks

Jace
Jace
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Adjust Screen Brightness with 'Fn" key?

Postby Husse on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:38 pm

I have a feeling this is hardware based.
All my Fn + something on a HP works as far as I remember
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby msuggs on Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:48 pm

Hardware based and related to kernel modules. I couldn't adjust the brightness on my Acer travelmate in Elyssa but can in Felicia.
msuggs
Level 5
Level 5

Postby liquid on Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:52 am

I tried some of the suggested solutions to the brightness bug but they didn't work for me.

I found a temporary solution to the brightness issue, but it works on the currently selected window (the brightness of that window will be affected and not the rest of the desktop).

You can go to Menu -> Preferences -> CompizConfig Settings Manager

In "CompizConfig Settings Manager" enable (check the box) "Brightness, Brightness and Saturation" then click on this item.
Choose the Brightness tab. There you'll find 2 keyboard icons and 2 mouse icons. What i did is next to the keyboard icon with the title increase, click on the "Disabled" button then check the box to enable this feature and then you'll be able to configure the button that will control increase of brightness. Click"Grab key combination" and then press the key you would like to assign this task or you can press a combination of buttons (ex. Ctrl+F6). Do the same to decrease the brightness.
liquid
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions