sound probin mint6rc1

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

sound probin mint6rc1

Postby a802 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:14 am

I install Mint6rc1 very smoothly, the best linux installation experiences i have in last6 months! BELIEVE ME :roll:
i was so happy, that i got carried away and started installing all other softwares for me to use, even virtualbox install without problem unlike in gOS and Ubuntu... great work!
then the problem hits! I knew i couldn't been so lucky :(
the wife and daughter complaint they have no sound playing online game at all...
so I try preference->sound, all are set auto-detect + ALSA and tested with the tone, ok...
I even set my master volume at 100%
but i have to set my sound level of the speaker to max to hear a very soft sound... and from firefox, the sound is lagged behind the motion...
then i try watching downloaded youtube, the sound speed is ok, but very soft!
finally watch dvd, the sound speed is ok, but very soft!
and when I go into skype to test call, error msg state "problem with audio playback"the skype sound in/out settings all set to default device...
can someone help me with this problem with audio playback in skype?
thank you

I think i can live with soft sound, but i must have skype working... and also later use sound in my virtual boxes...
I do not wish to reinstall vista! please help :cry:
a802
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: sound probin mint6rc1

Postby newW2 on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:33 am

This post isn't the same exact symptom, but worth a try if you haven't already looked at it.

viewtopic.php?f=48&p=112939#p112939
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby xnostradamusx on Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:33 am

a802 wrote:I install Mint6rc1 very smoothly, the best linux installation experiences i have in last6 months! BELIEVE ME :roll:
i was so happy, that i got carried away and started installing all other softwares for me to use, even virtualbox install without problem unlike in gOS and Ubuntu... great work!
then the problem hits! I knew i couldn't been so lucky :(
the wife and daughter complaint they have no sound playing online game at all...
so I try preference->sound, all are set auto-detect + ALSA and tested with the tone, ok...
I even set my master volume at 100%
but i have to set my sound level of the speaker to max to hear a very soft sound... and from firefox, the sound is lagged behind the motion...
then i try watching downloaded youtube, the sound speed is ok, but very soft!
finally watch dvd, the sound speed is ok, but very soft!
and when I go into skype to test call, error msg state "problem with audio playback"the skype sound in/out settings all set to default device...
can someone help me with this problem with audio playback in skype?
thank you

I think i can live with soft sound, but i must have skype working... and also later use sound in my virtual boxes...
I do not wish to reinstall vista! please help :cry:

regarding skype just go to options then sound devices

then use pulse in sound in\ sound out \ and ringing

should work no problem
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Postby kansasnoob on Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:56 pm

I know nothing about Skype, but regarding the soft sound I'd recommend installing Gnome Alsa-Mixer which will then show up in the Menu under Sound & Video. I always have to crank up the first 3 toggles and the last 4 toggles to about 95%.

It's available in Package Manager as gnome-alsasmixer or you could use the terminal:

Code: Select all
sudo apt-get install gnome-alsamixer
kansasnoob
Level 4
Level 4

Postby a802 on Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:43 am

Thank you very much, kansasnoob
your suggestion work very well, now i lower speaker volume to 40% and very sound can be heard!

Thank you to xnostradamusx too
your suggestion work, I got no more error messages, can hear sound from skype... but mic is still out...
wonder if anything else i setup wrongly...

you guys are great helps. I will carry on trying...
a802
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions