Wireless Driver (Compile??)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Wireless Driver (Compile??)

Postby Fuzzylogic on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:16 pm

I just built a new HTCP, mainly to be used to play YouTube on the big screen TV. I decided to try Linux Mint as the OS (version 6--Felicia).

Everything is working good except the Wireless (a common problem from what I understand).

The wireless card company was kind enough to provide a Linux driver on the CD, but I don't know what to do with it. (It is a Rosewill G300EX/Ralent 61).

I am brand new to Linux. How do I load a driver? Do I have to "compile" it? If so, how do I do this?

Thanks.
Fuzzylogic
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Wireless Driver (Compile??)

Postby Fuzzylogic on Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:35 pm

P.S. I wanted to mention that I went through the Wiki process. None of the Linux driver works because none of the files end in ".inf", and the sole ".inf" file on the CD (under Windows drivers) fails every time ("autorun.inf").
Fuzzylogic
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xnostradamusx on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:37 am

type lspci in terminal and post the output here so we know what kind of wireless you have exactly
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fuzzylogic on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:33 am

Thank you for your quick reply.

To be more clear, though: How do I, IN GENERAL, load a driver in Linux Mint?
Fuzzylogic
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xnostradamusx on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:40 am

first we need the exact driver you are using so to do this

you need to open a terminal and type lspci then copy what will show there and paste it here in the forums
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Postby pluraldave on Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:14 pm

Fuzzylogic wrote:P.S. I wanted to mention that I went through the Wiki process. None of the Linux driver works because none of the files end in ".inf", and the sole ".inf" file on the CD (under Windows drivers) fails every time ("autorun.inf").

That's because .inf is a windows file type. Given that you have the correct driver on the disk what are the file extensions of the file(s) under linux drivers? If you google "run .*** file" or similar (*** being your file extension) you might find the answer you are looking for.
pluraldave
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Fuzzylogic on Wed Nov 19, 2008 3:28 pm

Thanks for the effort so far. I will run that terminal command later (it is a bit of a process, as the computer in question does not have Internet access, as you might imagine--plugging it into a wire involves moving furniture and family members).

I have some stuff that look like commands in the readme file, and will play with these commands in terminal mode first.

If anyone is interested in helping further, I have found a link to the Driver:

http://www.ralinktech.com/ralink/Home/S ... Linux.html

It is the 4th driver from the top, 2501PCI/mPCI(RT61), dated 7/23/2008)
Fuzzylogic
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Fuzzylogic on Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:09 pm

I got it going. Here is the (somewhat complicated) method I used:

I pushed real hard with my hand.

Yup. That's it. Sorry for wasting everyone's time trying to help me.

I kept going back to that lspci thing and thinking, "Why does that person want to see that file? I can't upload it, and it doesn't even have anything about a PCI card in it." Then I thought, wait a minute, it should probably say something like, "unknown pci device" or something like that.

Then I remembered that the low-profile bracket did not quite line up correctly with the card, so that it tended to make the card want to pop out of the slot. And that is what happened.

I had bought the card because there was a review on Newegg saying that it worked automatically with Linux Mint (and because it was on sale for $15 with free shipping), and I hereby confirm that it does.

Once the card was properly seated, Mint auto-loaded a driver and got it up and running.

Again, I apologize for waisting valuable guru time.

Jeff
Fuzzylogic
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xnostradamusx on Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:32 pm

Fuzzylogic wrote:I got it going. Here is the (somewhat complicated) method I used:

I pushed real hard with my hand.

Yup. That's it. Sorry for wasting everyone's time trying to help me.

I kept going back to that lspci thing and thinking, "Why does that person want to see that file? I can't upload it, and it doesn't even have anything about a PCI card in it." Then I thought, wait a minute, it should probably say something like, "unknown pci device" or something like that.

Then I remembered that the low-profile bracket did not quite line up correctly with the card, so that it tended to make the card want to pop out of the slot. And that is what happened.

I had bought the card because there was a review on Newegg saying that it worked automatically with Linux Mint (and because it was on sale for $15 with free shipping), and I hereby confirm that it does.

Once the card was properly seated, Mint auto-loaded a driver and got it up and running.

Again, I apologize for waisting valuable guru time.

Jeff

no problem glad you solve it :D
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions