install windows 8.1 after linux mint 17.1 ?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
bakadis

install windows 8.1 after linux mint 17.1 ?

Post by bakadis »

Hi
i already install linux mint 17.1 in my laptop in one HDD 500gb
how can i install windows 8.1 now with Mint?
i don't have DVD drive.. using USB
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pierre
Level 21
Level 21

Re: install windows 8.1 after linux mint 17.1 ?

Post by Pierre »

initially - have a look at this tutorial:
http://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=163126
Please edit your original post title to include [SOLVED] - when your problem is solved!
and DO LOOK at those Unanswered Topics - - you may be able to answer some!.
mintybits

Post by mintybits »

is your hd partitioning ms-dos or is it gpt?
Mark Phelps
Level 7
Level 7

Post by Mark Phelps »

Boot from your Mint installation media and shrink down the Linux filesystem partition to leave room for Win8.1. Suggest a minimum of 40GB. Do NOT create a new partition in the unallocated space.

Then, boot from the Win8.1 installation USB and use the installer to create a new partition -- and install it.

Once that is done, GRUB in your MBR will have been overwritten, so you will have to boot from the Mint installer again and reinstall GRUB to sda.

Return to “Beginner Questions”