need to know before try Mint

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

need to know before try Mint

Postby Ivcho on Wed Nov 19, 2008 7:48 am

Hello to all this is my first post in the forum (i try to post the same question few days ago but my topic dont appear anyway my question is
if is Mint compatible with Sony Vaio FZ11M and HP tx1000.I'm Ubuntu user and with both my laptops i having problem with my Emotion Eye cam.I read reviews about my laptops and everywhere i read the same things -
tx1000 is not Linux friendly :cry: is it possible if somebody try and know if this models are compatible ore not with Mint also if they are to give me more info please:?:

Mint 5 Elyssa
Ivcho
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: need to know before try Mint

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:15 am

Best thing to do is to try it. Then you can see for yourself what works and what doesn't. welcome!
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Ivcho on Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:37 am

I try to run Mint once few months ago the older version but he even don't start,block on the boot screen(Sony Vaio VGN FZ11M) i'm Ubuntu user and i need a lots of modifications for everything to work (the most big problem is the Emotion Eye cam on the Vaio and the wi-fi connection of course) i asking this question to somebody ho try Mint on the same models ore is Linux guru and can give me info :D because if Mint is not compatible with my laptops then no reason to try it :wink:
Mint 5 Elyssa
Ivcho
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Zwopper on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:08 am

Some tips can be found here!
...and here!
My artwork at deviantART | My Tweet
CREA DIEM!
Lenovo E320 | 8GB | 512GB Samsung 840 PRO - SSD | Ubuntu 14.04
Zwopper
Level 10
Level 10

Postby Ivcho on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:27 am

Thank you for the link some of the links are deleted
the only info i found is Here

for the HP xt1000 (in Spanish :cry: ) i don't understand Spanish
and for the VGN FZ11M they give some info but not exactly for my model Vaio i found for VGN FZ11E but seems not very clear what he trying to explain,also the laptop is tested with Debian 4.0 not Ubuntu ore Mint
Mint 5 Elyssa
Ivcho
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:30 am

приветствам

Have you had any luck with the Live CD of Mint 5? You did not mention which version of Mint you had tried previously.

Късмет
(Моят българин е ужасен)
Last edited by rivenought on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Ivcho on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:34 am

rivenought wrote:Have you had any luck with the Live CD of Mint 5? You did not mention which version of Mint you had tried previously.

The one before the new this is about 2 months ago
Mint 5 Elyssa
Ivcho
Level 1
Level 1

Postby rivenought on Wed Nov 19, 2008 9:54 am

If it was two months ago, chances are that you have Mint 5.

Most times, if it works in Ubuntu, then it "should" work in Mint. There are some differences, of course. Webcams can be problematic in any distro. I am testing out Mint 6 on a couple of laptops with great success - including the webcams. This is not a guarantee your problem will be solved, but it does look promising.

To note, I have begun to encounter booting issues with anything based on Ubuntu 8.10 and 32-bit. It is only on a few machines, but it is odd, nonetheless. If you cannot get past the Mint splash screen at boot, you may wish to try pressing a key during the boot process. A menu should pop up offering "compatibility mode." Husse suggested this, and it has worked on those machines affected. It might be something to try if you ever get stuck in booting Mint.

I have also found that after installation, more hardware worked than during the use of the Live CD. It is really going to boil down to your experimenting and testing with your particular hardware. I have seen machines that chose their own software. If Ubuntu-based distros are not palatable to your machine, it may like Mandriva or openSUSE. There are plenty of choices - just like a buffet.
rivenought
Level 5
Level 5

Postby Ivcho on Wed Nov 19, 2008 10:11 am

rivenought wrote:If it was two months ago, chances are that you have Mint 5.

Most times, if it works in Ubuntu, then it "should" work in Mint. There are some differences, of course. Webcams can be problematic in any distro. I am testing out Mint 6 on a couple of laptops with great success - including the webcams. This is not a guarantee your problem will be solved, but it does look promising.

To note, I have begun to encounter booting issues with anything based on Ubuntu 8.10 and 32-bit. It is only on a few machines, but it is odd, nonetheless. If you cannot get past the Mint splash screen at boot, you may wish to try pressing a key during the boot process. A menu should pop up offering "compatibility mode." Husse suggested this, and it has worked on those machines affected. It might be something to try if you ever get stuck in booting Mint.

I have also found that after installation, more hardware worked than during the use of the Live CD. It is really going to boil down to your experimenting and testing with your particular hardware. I have seen machines that chose their own software. If Ubuntu-based distros are not palatable to your machine, it may like Mandriva or openSUSE. There are plenty of choices - just like a buffet.

I want to try Mint not other distro. Ubuntu distros work on my both laptops with the issues for cam and audio as i mention in my first post,but i want to try something new and Mint seems interesting distribution for me
Mint 5 Elyssa
Ivcho
Level 1
Level 1

Postby xnostradamusx on Wed Nov 19, 2008 11:44 am

Ivcho wrote:

I want to try Mint not other distro. Ubuntu distros work on my both laptops with the issues for cam and audio as i mention in my first post,but i want to try something new and Mint seems interesting distribution for me

i suggest download and try the latest mint release and use the live cd so you can try it without any change to your computer.

last option i can give you try mandriva 2009 i already used it it has good hardware detection and is concentrating for user friendliness, i like using the terminal and debian based distros also thats why i still prefer mint
~cheers~

xnostradamusx
xnostradamusx
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Ivcho on Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:05 pm

xnostradamusx wrote:
Ivcho wrote:

i suggest download and try the latest mint release and use the live cd so you can try it without any change to your computer.

last option i can give you try Mandriva 2009 i already used it it has good hardware detection and is concentrating for user friendliness, i like using the terminal and debian based distros also thats why i still prefer mint

This weekend im going to buy the new Mandriva Powerpack 2009 from Fnac shop here in Paris,but still nobody don't tell me nothing exactly for my laptop models :( everybody give me to search the answers somewhere but nothing exactly for what im looking for,i think to wait reply from somebody ho have the same laptop model Sony Vaio VGN-FZ11M ore HP tx1000
Thanks to everobody
Regards Ivo
Mint 5 Elyssa
Ivcho
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Ivcho on Thu Dec 04, 2008 10:27 pm

bump
so long and no reply to my post so i decide to write again :D

I try yesterday Mint and i have to say i'm very surprised how good Mint work on HP tx1000 and to give little more info if somebody want to try Mint on this model laptop :D

I install Mint two days ago and at the beginning the only problem i had is to configure the Internet because i did this manual (you have to follow the instructions from this link and step by step to edit the files :!: close knetworkmanager from the system startup if you don't want to do the same edits for the internet every time
The second problem i had is the wireless connection ndiswrapper (windows wireless drivers) doesn't work at all on my system so i had to configure the network some other way alone and after my long search in the forums i found the following instructions this is the best i found in the network in the moment if somebody can give me better idea he is welcome :P
Other very interesting fact is my CAM work with Mint and i don't have to do any edits (tested with cheese and Skype the picture is perfect)
Skype work correct installed from Mint repository's and the CAM too !! I have some problems to configure the microphone i hope somebody to help me ;)

The problem i have now is the graphic,every time i leave my laptop on stand by and start at without restart the screen crash and the resolution is very low i cant read anything and i need to restart the laptop ore CTRL+ALT+BACK and login again .

Thats all i can say for the moment, I'll make some more tests this days and will write the results in this topic :D
Mint 5 Elyssa
Ivcho
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions