/home partition

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

/home partition

Postby NumNuts on Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:19 am

After a few months of downloading stuff to play with, that I never use and setting up far to many wizzy shiny things on my desktop. I decided that a fresh install was required.

I decided to try my hand at a manual install. All has gone well. Except, I set up a separate /home partition which is fine, although there is still a home folder in the file system. Can I delete the home folder and set up my /home partition to mount automatically and redirect anything bound for the home folder?.
NumNuts
Level 2
Level 2

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: /home partition

Postby N1ckR on Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:34 pm

Hi

If you have mounted /home to your separate partition then this means that /home on your file system is representing your partition - all mounted drives/partitions etc must be mounted to a folder (or sub folder) on the system's file system.

Cheers, Nick
N1ckR
Level 1
Level 1

Re: /home partition

Postby NumNuts on Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:48 am

Thanks Nick,
no messing around to be done then.
NumNuts
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions