Cant use my onboard Ethernet!

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Cant use my onboard Ethernet!

Post by Christof999 »

Hi,

Just installed min 5 x64 on my system, and I am having a very strange bug with my ethernet. It is onboard ethernet with the Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 02) chipset. Now I cannot get it to navigate my network or the internet using regular cat 5 cable, it works no matter what. However strangely if I use cat 5e cable it instantly connects and works.

Now before someone suggets that I just use the cat 5e cable, let me say that

1. I want my computer working perfectly, not worked around. It should work like any of my other computers
2. I do not have, nor am willing to buy a 35 ft cat 5e cable.

I have ensured that my 35 ft cat 5 cable works, having tested it with another computer. I know its comething to do with the software, perhaps a driver issue.

Please help me and tell me how to fix this.

Thanks
Christof
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
rivenought

Re: Cant use my onboard Ethernet!

Post by rivenought »

I was under the assumption that Gigabit Ethernet required Cat 5e or Cat 6 cable for optimum performance. On regular 10/100, one can get by with regular Cat 5 with no problem. Now I know why my friend gave me a whole box of Cat 5 cables when he switched to Gigabit Ethernet. :D
Christof999
Level 3
Level 3

Re: Cant use my onboard Ethernet!

Post by Christof999 »

Hi,

never ever, had a problem using regular cat 5 cable with gigabit cards.

Return to “Beginner Questions”