Security question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Security question

Postby Paulgr on Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:03 pm

When I use windows, I am told it is much safer to be logged in as a limited user. I created a similar account in Linux mint. Is there a security risk in Linux mint in using the root account?Since all of the administration tasks require the administrator password, is it really necessary to use a limited account in Linux mint?
Paulgr
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Security question

Postby keplerspeed on Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:55 am

The only real danger of a administrative account in mint (ie using sudo to access root privileges) is the damage you can do yourself by meddling or making mistakes using commands as root. If you think before you type, and make sure you understand what your doing, there is no danger. Linux is safe and secure, and the danger of being 'hacked' and then exposed as you have the root password is negligible.
| Compaq Presario F500 | AMD Turion64 |
keplerspeed
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions