mintUpdate, Synaptic Package Manager don't launch solved

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

mintUpdate, Synaptic Package Manager don't launch solved

Postby vshah on Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:43 am

I recently installed Linux Mint 5 main edition. The lock shows there are 104 recommended software updates. However, when I click on it, nothing happens. When I go to Elyssa and try to launch mintUpdate, nothing happens. The same with Package Manager. Neither of these two launch. I checked MD5 and that is ok. I re-installed Mint 5 thrice. Yet, nothing. I've tried typing "apt update" in terminal and get a message "unable to resolve host desktop"

Any suggestions?

Vikram
vshah
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: mintUpdate, Synaptic Package Manager don't launch

Postby Husse on Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:43 am

I've tried typing "apt update" in terminal and get a message "unable to resolve host desktop"

That probably told us the problem
Check /etc/hosts - it should look something like this
127.0.0.1 localhost name_of_your_computer
127.0.1.1 name_of_your_computer

# The following lines are desirable for IPv6 capable hosts
::1 ip6-localhost ip6-loopback
fe00::0 ip6-localnet
ff00::0 ip6-mcastprefix
ff02::1 ip6-allnodes
ff02::2 ip6-allrouters
ff02::3 ip6-allhosts

I guess something is missing...
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby vshah on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:07 am

I tried what you suggested in terminal but I still continue to get a message "unable to resolve host (computer name)".

However, the hosts you've mentioned are present under "hosts" in "network settings". any idea why i am getting the message above in terminal?
vshah
Level 1
Level 1

Postby vshah on Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:54 am

SOLVED!!! thanks Husse for giving me the clue that it could be something to do with my network settings. Got more clues from other posts with the same terminal message.
Had given a name under "Domain" in the network settings which showed my computer name as "computername.domainname". deleted the domain name and everything works fine!

Thanks for your help anyway. :D
vshah
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions