Help; sda sdb hard drive confusion?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

Help; sda sdb hard drive confusion?

Postby arkin on Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:09 am

I installed Linux Mint a few days ago, I opted for Elyssa instead of RC1 Felicia because I was having some problems installing RC1 (probably due to my already partitioned Linux.)

Anyway, I've had it install for a day or two now and I boot up this morning and find that it takes me straight to the ASH(sp?) console instead of loading Linux Mint, I did see a splash screen for a brief second.

So, I dediced to boot into recovery mode which worked, and then I tried to reboot into the normal kernel which failed again. In ASH, I then cd'd into /root and found it had all my storage drive files + folders so I assume sda and sdb hard drives had swapped around maybe?

I unplugged my storage drive, luckily it was hotswap, and booted up fine. Although, i have had to reinstall my NVidia drivers now, but, I think thats because i went into the recovery console?

A quick summary:
sda - 40Gb Maxtor IDE - contains Linux Mint, boot partition (ext3)
sdb - 500Gb Maxtor SATA - contains my backups & files (ntfs)

Not sure whats happening, but I hope you can diagnose so I don't keep having to open the front panel and disconnecting my sata storage drive. I am a happy linux mint user, coming from windows :)
arkin
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Help; sda sdb hard drive confusion?

Postby newW2 on Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:38 pm

newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions