Some (newbie?) questions :)

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Some (newbie?) questions :)

Postby Ziao on Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:54 am

Hello,

I came from Windows XP, after it clogging up once again, i decided to switch to linux for good. First i was looking at Ubuntu (having played with it a few times) but then i found out about Mint. I love it to bits.

However like almost every beginner i have some issue's / questions, i hope someone may be able to answer some of them :)

Whenever i enable my touchpad (hp pavilion dv9000) a window pops up with the title 'Desktop' and it looks like a general help window. It does not appear when i disable my touchpad.

Can i remove the 'Elyssa' text next to my startbutton? I'm a minimalist and i want my taskbar to be as clean as possible

Is there some sort of taskmanager? I opened RCT3 in wine, and it took over the entire screen, i was unable to do anything. Any equivalant of Ctrll alt delete?

Thanks in advance for any reply :D
Regards,
Nick, the Netherlands
Ziao
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Some (newbie?) questions :)

Postby proxima_centauri on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:35 am

Concerning MintMenu, right click on it, select Preferences, go to the main button tab, and erase the text.

There is a task manager called System Monitor, it is under Administration.

I'm not sure what you mean about your touchpad.
proxima_centauri
Level 11
Level 11

Re: Some (newbie?) questions :)

Postby Ziao on Sun Nov 23, 2008 9:55 am

Thanks for your reply, i appreciate it :)

as for the touchpad, ill try to explain

There's a small hardware button just above my touchpad, to enable and disable it. When i enable it by pressing the button (so the touchpad becomes active and i can move the mouse), a window also opens, called 'desktop'. When i disable my touchpad, nothing weird happens, it just goes off.

I've attached a screenshot of the window to this post
Ziao
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions