$PATH question

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

$PATH question

Postby EroSan on Sun Nov 23, 2008 4:28 pm

Hello. Im a newbie trying to learn the basics of bash... I am following this tutorial:
http://linuxcommand.org/learning_the_shell.php

Right now I am learning to make scripts, and I wanted to add a dir to $PATH to simplify testing the scripts I create to learn, but not just for the bash session... I want it to be permanent.

I googled for a solution, and it said to add it in .bash_profile which does not exist in Mint (I am guessing this is the same as ~/.profile). Anyway, the dir I want to add is called bin and its in my home, and in the .profile there were these lines already:

Code: Select all
# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
    PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

as far as I can tell that means that I shouldn't need to make any change... ~/bin should be added automatically to $PATH since the directory exists, right?

but its not! what am I doing wrong?
EroSan
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: $PATH question

Postby Husse on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:03 pm

I have not studied this in any detail, but notice that it says $HOME/bin not $HOME/your_user_name/bin
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Re: $PATH question

Postby EroSan on Sun Nov 23, 2008 5:22 pm

$HOME is equal to /home/erosan, at least bash seems to think so... cd $hOME/bin does takes me to the correct folder...

I usually dont stop trying, so after more research: I noticed that on .profile, it tries to see if there is a .bashrc file and load it. I have created the file .bashrc and added the directory to the path (PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"), thus solving my problem...

but why does that other part of the .profile does not work keeps puzzling me. I mean, I did not type that... its the way Felina RC1 comes by default. Maybe it is a bug?
EroSan
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions