startup & shutdown problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read how to get help

startup & shutdown problems

Postby LongDog on Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:46 am

About a month ago I installed mint Elyssa gnome on my son-in-laws computer for him.
He has had no problems till 2 days ago. He says he hasnt changed anything ,but now startup is taking a very long time and when he clicks on the Elyssa button to shut down it stays on screen till he clicks on another part of the screen and when he clicks on the shut down button it can take several minutes to shut down ?
LongDog
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: startup & shutdown problems

Postby newW2 on Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:55 am

I normally just right click on teh menu button and select reload plug-ins and all is well. Having said that, when things happen suddenly what happened before it started is the thing I ask myself. For example, not knowing what you have enabled in sources.list you may have an updated mintMenu (there have been updates to mintMenu). Check the package manager to assure you don't have an update available that wasn't installed. I saw this recently with another item on the menu (Software Manager wouldn't launch). That menu item wouldn't do a thing when selected, because mintMenu didn't update when I accepted the update via mintUpdate.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions