cant get wireless to work, need help

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

cant get wireless to work, need help

Postby WinterMadness on Sun Nov 30, 2008 1:08 am

before I say anything, I want to say that ive gotten wireless to work in ubuntu several times and i know what I was doing there.

that being said, I got my wireless driver .inf file, installed it with the windows wireless driver program and it even says hardware is present. however when i click the network icon it dosent bring up wireless networks. infact theres no checkbox asking me if i want to enable wireless, and when i goto the network settings, theres nothing about wireless connections

why is this. im using the "Elyssa" by the way. Not interested in upgrading at this time.
WinterMadness
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: cant get wireless to work, need help

Postby WinterMadness on Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:44 pm

noone? i imagine other people had to go through this, since everything is a new install. all im asking is why i cant find "enable wireless" on the network manager in the tray area. how to i get it.
WinterMadness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby GrayWizardLinux on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:19 pm

sorry I cannot help but Ubuntu on 4 machines never worked and Mint on 3 machines the wireless works. strange you are having issues. And I am using an airport too.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Postby hoe on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:20 pm

I too had wireless problems with Mint and now use Ubuntu on my laptop ... l still use Mint on my main desktop ... l wish Clem and the team would find a way to make wireless easy. This is a wireless world we live in and if you make the nicest OS in the world but can't connect wirelessly to it, it ain't much good ... :-(

Wayne
hoe
Level 3
Level 3

Postby newW2 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:48 pm

I don't use wireless, but saw this link in a sticky post on the Networking section of this forum. The poster chazsheen was successful and said:
After messing around with the ath5k MadWifi stuff when I had Elyssa installed I decided to go another route after upgrading to Felicia RC1. I've got the 5007 pain in the butt card in my laptop and decided to give the ath9k drivers a shot this time around. It went 100x times smoother, it's easier to get installed, and my network tools properly displays my card information now.

Appears this site has support for many network cards and usb dongles. http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dow ... essdrivers
The site indicates:
Here is the list of all the drivers we support in this package.
adm8211, at76_usb, ath9k, ath5k, b43, b43legacy, iwl3945, iwl4965, ipw2100, ipw2200, ub8xxx, libertas_cs, p54_pci, p54_usb, rndis_wlan, rt2400pci, rt2400pci, rt2500pci, rt2500usb, rt61pci, rt73usb, rtl8180, rtl8187, zd1211rw,

Sounds like you've tried a few things already, and are one of those people that have allot of experience on the Ubuntu side of this equation. That's good if it was Intrepid - read allot of people are having issues with wifi on 8.10.
It'd be good if you told everybody what wifi manufacturer you're having trouble with on LinuxMint, what version of Ubuntu that things were easy to get the wifi running on, etc.
Good luck.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby WinterMadness on Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:55 pm

Well, I got my wireless to work on ubuntu 8.04, and 8.10. I never had an issue with either of them. Outside of the wireless issue, i like mint better. hopefully i can get this to work

my wireless card is Dell Wireless 1359 WLAN Minicard. the driver file was always bcmwl5.inf, strangely enough mint comes with that file as ive seen. that dosent work though. I have both bcmwl5 and bcmwl6 (updated one) and even though when I use "Windows Wireless Drivers" it says hardware present, I get nothin. when I click the network tray icon I cant get anything other than "enable networking"
WinterMadness
Level 1
Level 1

Postby newW2 on Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:40 pm

Hum aka a friendly broadcom device. You have checked the host file to make sure that is correct - no can't find host errors. the worst problem I ever had with a wired connection was loss of the network on reboot. That was a simple fix.

Reboot dbus with:
code: "sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart"
Husse is really busy - he answers allot of posts. I left a link for him to you problem.
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Husse on Mon Dec 01, 2008 8:36 am

Yeah - I'm busy - should do other things but there are too may posts left unanswered
My favorite solution for bcm43xx is this one
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... ca757b2851
and my wifi is using it
You find a link to it in the wifi wiki in the part for bcm43xx
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... adcom_43xx
On that page you find a link to a good solution for bcmwl5
viewtopic.php?f=53&t=13356
There are differences between Mint and Ubuntu, mostly to the better but in some cases your hardware may not like it
Good luck
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby raymac on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:59 am

he220 3g modem dongle in MINT.
I have just put Linux Mint on a live CD and am very impressed.
Even more so when I find I can connect using the he220 wireless dongle modem from the live disk!
There is a small file called he220-pclos-mandriva which can be found on the net. It finds the modem, checks the connection, dials the phone No. (it uses a mobile phone chip, so there is no user or password) and will retry until it connects.
Copy the file and paste it into the desktop, in file manager open desktop,
open Terminal in the desktop,
cd he220-pclos-mandriva (easier if renamed he220)
sudo make install

May need rmmod usb-storage

Sydney AU
raymac
Level 1
Level 1

Postby akaNed on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:20 pm

I had a Broadcom 4306 card, and followed this how-to, and have had no problems. I used this with both Ubuntu and Mint 4 & 5.
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Return to Newbie Questions