cant get wireless to work, need help

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
GrayWizardLinux
Level 6
Level 6

Re: cant get wireless to work, need help

Post by GrayWizardLinux »

sorry I cannot help but Ubuntu on 4 machines never worked and Mint on 3 machines the wireless works. strange you are having issues. And I am using an airport too.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Linux Mint - Pure Bliss!
hoe

Post by hoe »

I too had wireless problems with Mint and now use Ubuntu on my laptop ... l still use Mint on my main desktop ... l wish Clem and the team would find a way to make wireless easy. This is a wireless world we live in and if you make the nicest OS in the world but can't connect wirelessly to it, it ain't much good ... :-(

Wayne
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

I don't use wireless, but saw this link in a sticky post on the Networking section of this forum. The poster chazsheen was successful and said:
After messing around with the ath5k MadWifi stuff when I had Elyssa installed I decided to go another route after upgrading to Felicia RC1. I've got the 5007 pain in the butt card in my laptop and decided to give the ath9k drivers a shot this time around. It went 100x times smoother, it's easier to get installed, and my network tools properly displays my card information now.
Appears this site has support for many network cards and usb dongles. http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Dow ... essdrivers
The site indicates:
Here is the list of all the drivers we support in this package.
adm8211, at76_usb, ath9k, ath5k, b43, b43legacy, iwl3945, iwl4965, ipw2100, ipw2200, ub8xxx, libertas_cs, p54_pci, p54_usb, rndis_wlan, rt2400pci, rt2400pci, rt2500pci, rt2500usb, rt61pci, rt73usb, rtl8180, rtl8187, zd1211rw,
Sounds like you've tried a few things already, and are one of those people that have allot of experience on the Ubuntu side of this equation. That's good if it was Intrepid - read allot of people are having issues with wifi on 8.10.
It'd be good if you told everybody what wifi manufacturer you're having trouble with on LinuxMint, what version of Ubuntu that things were easy to get the wifi running on, etc.
Good luck.
newW2
Level 5
Level 5

Post by newW2 »

Hum aka a friendly broadcom device. You have checked the host file to make sure that is correct - no can't find host errors. the worst problem I ever had with a wired connection was loss of the network on reboot. That was a simple fix.

Reboot dbus with:
code: "sudo /etc/init.d/dbus restart"
Husse is really busy - he answers allot of posts. I left a link for him to you problem.
Husse

Post by Husse »

Yeah - I'm busy - should do other things but there are too may posts left unanswered
My favorite solution for bcm43xx is this one
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WifiD ... ca757b2851
and my wifi is using it
You find a link to it in the wifi wiki in the part for bcm43xx
http://www.linuxmint.com/wiki/index.php ... adcom_43xx
On that page you find a link to a good solution for bcmwl5
http://www.linuxmint.com/forum/viewtopi ... 53&t=13356
There are differences between Mint and Ubuntu, mostly to the better but in some cases your hardware may not like it
Good luck
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Post by akaNed »

I had a Broadcom 4306 card, and followed this how-to, and have had no problems. I used this with both Ubuntu and Mint 4 & 5.
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one

Return to “Beginner Questions”