Partitioning double check me pls?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Partitioning double check me pls?

Postby Eviscerate on Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:24 am

okay so... i decided to leave ubuntu which i always ended up uninstalling and going back to windows (due to various problems). Long story short i read some guides etc on this website and i wanted someone to double check my options for partitioning.

I have a 120 gig hdd or so and i have 1 gig of ram. I have windows xp pro sp3 for gaming, so i wanna dual boot.

Here is my plan for the manual partitioning i never setup a swap before or done it manually.

/dev/sda1
/dev/sda1 ext3 <--- 80,000mb = 80 gigabytes right?
/dev/sda2 swap <--- 3,000mb for a 3 gig swap correct? ( i read somewhere it has to be bigger than the ram )

I never attempted to install mint linux yet! so i am not sure exactly how it looks because i have windows xp installed already there will be other paths etc.

Btw if it helps at all.. i am installing linux mint on a Dell inspiron 1501

EDIT:

Okay so i read around a bit more and someone says "/home" is for files like music, documents, etc so it should be on its own partition so when a new version of mint linux comes out i can install it and still have my "/home" unaffected. Also "/usr" is where all the package managers install software too? which i should have on its own partition as well? I do not want things to be wiped whenever i upgrade to a new version of mint linux. :wink:

/dev/sda1 <--- main harddrive.
/dev/sda1 ext3 <--- 10,000MB for a 10 gig spot for mint OS to be installed?
/dev/sda2 swap <-- 3,000mb for a 3 gig swap
/dev/sda3 /home <-- 60,000mb ish for all music and movies etc documents
/dev/sda4 /usr <--- 15,000mb

As you can see im not totally sure how this all works exactly... i have a slight idea i just need to make sure i am setting this up correctly. I never got into partitioning before.. i normally just install the whole OS on a big partition. Anyways how do i setup the "/usr" and "/home" i see that i install the Mint Linux onto /dev/sda1 ext3 but how do i setup the path for a "/usr" or "/home"? do i simply type "/dev/sda3 /home"?? i am not exactly sure how it works.
Eviscerate
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Partitioning double check me pls?

Postby Eviscerate on Mon Dec 01, 2008 4:27 pm

Well... i figured it out on my own, i used ubuntu live CD to split my harddrive then i used Mint Live CD to install my "/" and "/home" etc onto its own partitions.
Eviscerate
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Partitioning double check me pls?

Postby DataMan on Thu Dec 04, 2008 8:18 am

A little late and no biggee, but I would have suggested creating an extended partition first. Then within the extended partition, set up you swap and 2 ext3's (for "/" and "/home"). Set the "/" at ~8G and /home for whatever you need for file storage and config's. This will allow you to add other distro's or versions without banking your head against the wall by the limit of 4 primary partitions (which you are now at).

Hope this is of some help.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Return to Newbie Questions