Control Key Assigment

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Control Key Assigment

Postby Quality.mE on Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:54 pm

Hello.

I'm quite a new user and i solved harder puzzles regarding linux but this is a minor one i could not find anywhere just because its too simple and stupid. Thats why im posting in on the forum. Believe i searched for it everywhere. And im quite embarassed to ask it too...

Its the LEFT CONTROL KEY assignment. Every time i press it, it pops out the same options menu tab as the LEFT MOUSE BUTTON. Is there a way to off? I looked in the System Settings and in the compiz menu too but cant find it.

Every time i need to copy&paste i cant use the keyboard just because of this menu. I bothers with every thing: from coping and pasting text, to folders, to compiz and linux functions that need a combination that starts with CTRL.

Thanks
Quality.mE
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Control Key Assigment

Postby squigglethecow on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:01 pm

IN the control center there is a key bindings menu, though I dont believe it has all of the key strokes listed.
squigglethecow
Level 1
Level 1

Postby Quality.mE on Mon Dec 01, 2008 6:39 pm

squigglethecow wrote:IN the control center there is a key bindings menu, though I dont believe it has all of the key strokes listed.

No i already looked there... Isnt there a command to put in konsole to unbind the key?
Quality.mE
Level 1
Level 1

Postby D-EJ915 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 10:04 pm

Well I'm going to assume you're left handed in your mouse-configuration so you mean the context menu. I know a roundabout way of fixing this but I'm not sure if you'd really want to try it.

Anyway here it goes:

type 'xev' in a terminal and press enter, a box will pop up and put the mouse cursor in there. Hit the key and it'll give you something like this

Code: Select all
control key:
KeyPress event, serial 32, synthetic NO, window 0x3e00001,
    root 0x236, subw 0x0, time 504012788, (179,71), root:(2010,499),
    state 0x0, keycode 37 (keysym 0xffe3, Control_L), same_screen YES,

menu key:
KeyPress event, serial 29, synthetic NO, window 0x3e00001,
    root 0x236, subw 0x0, time 504090452, (176,178), root:(2007,606),
    state 0x0, keycode 135 (keysym 0xff67, Menu), same_screen YES,

you'll notice the keycode there, make a file called .Xmodmap in your home directory and put this in there:
keycode 135* = Control_L
add Control = Control_L

135* = (they code it gives you when you hit the key, don't use what i have there)

This will change that key into the left control key and update the control modifier list. Your problem might be created by some gnome thing but this should work.

if you want to try it out without having to log out and log back in use it like this:

$ xmodmap -e "keycode 135* = Control_L"
$ xmodmap -e "add Control = Control_L"

That enables it for the currently-running X server (the GUI).
D-EJ915
Level 2
Level 2

Return to Newbie Questions