I wanted to post this in Networking, it has no new 'post'

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
fruitkiller

I wanted to post this in Networking, it has no new 'post'

Post by fruitkiller »

I got 2 desktops running LM17.1 here. The other one is mostly there for when I don't feel like going to my office and it's in the solarium next to the kitchen. It has way too much space than it needs. I read before, but I forgot where, and I must have been logged in win7 at the moment (yeah yeah, still happens cos of gaming).

In all cases, I want to remotely mount one of the hard drives on that computer that is connected to mine through our fibre optics modem/router. Or maybe just even a partition on it (I think that would be more difficult but maybe needed). Samba is crap and I refuse to work with it outside a windows environment. Please tell me how come I can't post in networking section and 2) well, any help with this?, I'm not even able to make folders shared here, they don't go into sambashares as in what group they should be in, so that was my last try.

I know I can do it, a friend of mine does it with the same fibre op modem/router and i got a mac on this network and I can use its printer.

The guide I remember reading had something to do with creating a DATA fake hard drive to mount on the computer i want to use as a file dump then add as many symlinks in the UUID file to the real folders i want access to in that other desktop.

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pilosopong Tasyo
Level 6
Level 6

Re: I wanted to post this in Networking, it has no new 'post

Post by Pilosopong Tasyo »

fruitkiller wrote:Please tell me how come I can't post in networking section...
The Networking section is subdivided into three categories: Ethernet, Wireless, and Other networking topics. You need to click the category appropriate for your support question and you'll find the [New Topic] button near the beginning of the page.

That said, please change the title of your thread (click the edit button) to something more appropriate and request to have it moved to the appropriate sub-forum instead of creating a new thread. (Click the Report this post button -- the triangular icon with the '!' symbol on top of any post/reply.)
o Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day. Teach him how to fish and he will eat for a lifetime!
o If an issue has been fixed, please edit your first post and add the word [SOLVED].
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

fruitkiller,

There are a couple of ways to do what you're asking. I use sshfs. Simple instructions are locate here https://www.digitalocean.com/community/ ... s-over-ssh

Good luck :wink:
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Yeah, I tried quite a lot of samba guides and always one side says the other is abnormal. I already use sshfs with one of my vps so it appears as a local drive, but it is all from paste and go instruction from my seedbox server wiki.

I'll check it out a little tonight, but its gettin' late, tomorrow I'll get in the thick of it.

Btw, could it be the fibre optics router/modem's config that's blocking stuff? I doubt it, I mean samba got to see each other's shared folders, just impossible to get permission to mount a drive or enter a folder.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

got me a connection reset by peer here :

sudo sshfs root@xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:/ /mnt/droplet

Could this be this guide is mostly for vps's ?
WharfRat

Post by WharfRat »

I can't speak to fibre optics, but I would assume the functionality would be similar to a wired/wifi router.

This is how I connect mine to a mount point at /mnt/dell/shared

sudo sshfs -o IdentityFile=~/.ssh/id_rsa bill@192.168.1.103:/media/shared /mnt/dell/shared

I use static IPs so the computer addresses will always be the same.

Are you running a firewall :?: That could be blocking the connection.
fruitkiller

Post by fruitkiller »

Look at the networking forum, I got it to work thanks to another user just running avahi :)
ganamant
Level 4
Level 4

Post by ganamant »

fruitkiller wrote:In all cases, I want to remotely mount one of the hard drives on that computer that is connected to mine through our fibre optics modem/router.
That's the perfect job for nfs, IMO.

Return to “Beginner Questions”