The New MintInstall?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

The New MintInstall?

Postby GameKing505 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 12:13 pm

I've seen some screenshots of the new mintInstall and am awaiting Felicia with baited breath, but I have a question. Does the new the new xml based graphical browsing of apps only allow you to install from the Mint Portal? Could I, for example, graphically browse for something in the repositories, or no?
GameKing505
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: The New MintInstall?

Postby Old Marcus on Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:23 pm

Just checked and nope, doesn't look like it I'm afraid. :(
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby DataMan on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:06 pm

Unless I'm missing something here, the MintInstall has separate tabs for GetDeb, APT and Mint. The APT option is selectable for either the Mint of Ubuntu repository.

Looks pretty complete for me.

DataMan
Linux'd since 2005 Linux ID 422356 Ubuntu ID 15015
DataMan
Level 6
Level 6

Postby Old Marcus on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:16 pm

Yes, but it doesn't have a graphical synaptic like list for packages. Presumably because synaptic is there already.
Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions