Installing app. in wine.

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Installing app. in wine.

Postby whvann08 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:48 pm

I need just a little help. I have never used wine. I have searched the net looking of answers but did not find the exact one I was looking for. I am trying to install a game of mine in wine on Mint 5 gnome. The game is Halo. I can get the installer to run but when I put in my code for the game it stops and said can not load something dll. I can't remember what it was called other than it was a dll file. I don't even know if I was installing it the right way or not. If someone could give me a step by step way to install a windows game or app. with wine I would like that or point me in the direction to info that would. This is the only thing that has kept me from trashing windows completely.

Thanks for any help

Henry
whvann08
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Installing app. in wine.

Postby newW2 on Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:17 pm

I don't know if this will help, but take a look at this:

winetricks is a shell script that downloads missing DLLs and fonts for you from the best known source. It was written to help Wine developers, but it turned out to be useful for end users, too. See the wiki page about winetricks for more info.

http://wiki.winehq.org/winetricks
newW2
Level 6
Level 6

Re: Installing app. in wine.

Postby akaNed on Sun Dec 07, 2008 5:14 pm

Also check the Wine site for info on Halo. A google search of 'wine halo' may turn up some results. Unfortunately not every windows program will run under wine, but it does get better every day.
Check out my other wallpapers Deviantart
Follow me at identica or that other one
akaNed
Level 4
Level 4

Return to Newbie Questions