Trojan Phishing Malware on Linux?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Trojan Phishing Malware on Linux?

Postby g0lrk on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:33 pm

Just got sent an article by a friend who is on windows, and he took great pleasure in telling me that a company called Bitdefender has detected some malware that they are saying affects windows and Linux users?
More information here http://www.itproportal.com/articles/2008/12/05/trojan-phishing-malware-disguises-firefox-add-/
It doesn't go in to great detail about Linux but just mentions it.
I'm just a bit concerned about what is the best course of action? So anyone help me and tell me please?
Thanks.
Kevin.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Trojan Phishing Malware on Linux?

Postby Husse on Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:48 pm

Not on Linux but on Firefox :)
This is from the article you linked to
The attack is likely to affect all current versions of Firefox (including Minefield) and across most platforms (Windows and Linux) as it uses Javascript to operate.

I can't say often enough - use NoScript and only allow a really small number of sites to use javascript. That should make you safe - unless one of the sites you allow is infected
But yes, as long as the crap stays and works in home it is possible.....
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Postby g0lrk on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:12 pm

Thanks very much Husse.
I'll just have to be very careful then what sites I go and just go on my normal ones.
Cheers.
Kevin.
g0lrk
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Fred on Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:46 pm

g0lrk,

Using the "NoScript" add-on in Firefox will prevent you from being affected or infected by this, as Husse said above.

Fred
Insanity: Doing the same thing over and over and each time expecting a different result.

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on the menu. Liberty is an armed lamb protesting the electoral outcome. A Republic negates the need for an armed protest.
Fred
Level 10
Level 10

Postby bobpur on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:32 pm

I had a Ubuntu 8.04 machine wrecked by something called "Antivirus2008." None of the nasty stuff got in but those annoying pop-ups telling me my "Windows" machine was infected and offering to find the trouble with a free scan that showed dozens of infections and made the money pitch to fix the problem. Nothing would get rid of the pop-ups except a complete re-write of the Linux OS. Someone with more computer savvy than myself might have fixed it without a re-write.

I don't know if this is true or not, but this "antivirus" program and its other incarnations is supposed to originate in the middle east. It is meant to get your money and your bank info to further drain your account for the funding of terrorist activities. Or so the story goes.

Also, the name changes with the year. Ex.= "Antivirus2008" is now "Antivirus2009."
I was looking for an antivirus program for linux when "Antiviruus2008" showed up, it did so without any request from me. I guess I was in the right area and it came calling.

Watch for it. If I can find the original posts I'll make a link to them.
bobpur
Level 3
Level 3

Postby Husse on Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:06 am

In this case I'm convinced it would have been enough to empty the browser (FF) cache
And be very careful when it comes to antivirus, use only the well known brands as this is the possibly worst source for malware
Don't fix it if it ain't broken, don't break it if you can't fix it
Husse
Level 21
Level 21

Return to Newbie Questions