Please help me get sound and video

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Please help me get sound and video

Postby JoshF on Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:42 am

I just installed linux mint for the first time. So far looks great but I have no sound except from my headphones.
Im assuming this is a driver issue with my on board sound. I did a search here and found where someone had the same problem and fixed by installing a driver from http://www.alsaproject.org. I downloaded the same driver but I cant figure out how to install it. Sorry to ask dumb questions but I cant seem to find the answer by searching.

Als it apears my video card is not installed. I tried to use the envy program but it does not seem to support my card 4850. I downloaded the newest driver from ati but again I cant figure out how to install it.
JoshF
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Please help me get sound and video

Postby JoshF on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:27 am

Well using the envy program I managed to install a much earlier driver and catalyst control center. So everything looks better. I just need to figure out how to update to the newest driver.
JoshF
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Please help me get sound and video

Postby Kestrel1 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:43 pm

With regard to your sound issue have a look at the Alsa web site:
http://www.alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Main_Page
You may find what you need there.
Kestrel1
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions