[SOLVED] Mint XFCE startup

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
woodworm

[SOLVED] Mint XFCE startup

Post by woodworm »

I have just downloaded, burnt the iso and booted the Mint XFCE live disk.

It all looks very good but I have not found the Welcome Screen and the wizard to enter Time, Country, Language etc.

Trying the email client worked Ok but there is no persistance.

What am I missing to get XFCE going, I would prefer to put it on a flash drive but first I have to get the live disk running properly.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,
woodworm
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Re: Mint XFCE startup

Post by Pjotr »

woodworm wrote:I have just downloaded, burnt the iso and booted the Mint XFCE live disk.

It all looks very good but I have not found the Welcome Screen and the wizard to enter Time, Country, Language etc.

Trying the email client worked Ok but there is no persistance.

What am I missing to get XFCE going, I would prefer to put it on a flash drive but first I have to get the live disk running properly.

Any help will be appreciated.

Cheers,
woodworm
You have to install it on the hard disk first. That's all. :mrgreen:
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
woodworm

Post by woodworm »

Thanks Pjotr,

Will you please confirm that unlike MATE and CINNAMON, both of which run happily from a live DVD, XFCE has to run from the hard disk.

If required I will do this but I am reluctant to do so as this will mean Dual Booting. At some stage I will want to drop the dual booting but I do not want to risk dropping my XP until I am completely happy with Linux Mint.

1. Is the hard disk essential for XFCE
2. Is there a safe way to revert form Dual Boot to XP.

TIA,
woodworm
Pjotr
Level 24
Level 24

Post by Pjotr »

woodworm wrote:Thanks Pjotr,

Will you please confirm that unlike MATE and CINNAMON, both of which run happily from a live DVD, XFCE has to run from the hard disk.
It has nothing to do with Mate, Cinnamon or Xfce: a live DVD simply has no persistence. Can't have. A live session runs entirely and exclusively from the RAM. That's why you need a hard drive installation; a live session is only meant for "testing the water". :)
If required I will do this but I am reluctant to do so as this will mean Dual Booting. At some stage I will want to drop the dual booting but I do not want to risk dropping my XP until I am completely happy with Linux Mint.

1. Is the hard disk essential for XFCE
2. Is there a safe way to revert form Dual Boot to XP.
It's highly, even extremely unsafe to use Windows XP on the internet. :shock:
So I don't think you should be afraid of creating a dual boot with XP; you should be afraid of XP with internet connection.... Linux Mint offers you a free and secure solution for this grave security problem.

And yes, everything can be undone, including a dual boot.
Tip: 10 things to do after installing Linux Mint 21.3 Virginia
Keep your Linux Mint healthy: Avoid these 10 fatal mistakes
Twitter: twitter.com/easylinuxtips
All in all, horse sense simply makes sense.
idtent

Post by idtent »

If you have not considered doing so and want to get a feel for Linux while using Windows, consider using virtualization software (like Virtualbox or VMWare). This way you can experiment without risk to your Windows installation (hopefully - simply booting Windows is risky; which is why I use Windows when necessary, but rely on Linux).
pcpunk
Level 5
Level 5

Post by pcpunk »

woodworm, just do this and you will have a good system on USB to do whatever you want until you are ready. It will be just like having on HDD.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKL1tmn-xC0
HP Compaq nx7400, Cinnamon 19.2
Intel R Core™2CPU, T5500@1.66GHz, 4GB Crucial RAM
Super Clean Runs Perfect
woodworm

Post by woodworm »

Thanks to those who helped with advice.
I have dual booted Mint Xfce with XP and for the next few days I will be playing and learning.
No doubt there will be more questions later.

woodworm
killer de bug

Re: [SOLVED] Mint XFCE startup

Post by killer de bug »

That's a good thing you were able to dual boot without problems. Enjoy now!

Return to “Beginner Questions”