What do executables look like?

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

What do executables look like?

Postby Imagus on Mon Dec 08, 2008 1:21 pm

Hi all,

I have just installed the videogame emulator called xmess using the package manager. Since this had no frontend I also installed xkmame (which is for KDE but fortunately seems to work with Gnome too - guess that's normal?). Now I need to enter the different paths to the xmess executable, game roms etc. Only problem is: what does the xmess executable look like (in Windows it's easy: executables have an .exe extension) and where is it located? I've been browsing my hard disk for a while but don't really know where to look.

Thank you!
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: What do executables look like?

Postby Kestrel1 on Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:39 pm

I would suggest looking at the site you got the program from & see if there is some help there.
You could always open a terminal Y type xmess to see if you can access it that way, it may or may not work as you may need to know the correct path.
Kestrel1
Level 1
Level 1

Postby viking777 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:55 am

Just open a terminal and type:

Code: Select all
locate xmess

That will show you the location of every file with those letters in it. Executables are usually in /bin or /usr/bin.
Fujitsu Lifebook AH532. Intel i5 processor, 6Gb ram, Intel HD3000 graphics, Intel Audio/wifi. Realtek RTL8111/8168B Ethernet.Lubuntu 13.10,Ubuntu12.10 (Unity), Mint16 (Cinnamon), Manjaro (Xfce).
viking777
Level 14
Level 14

Postby Imagus on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:56 am

Thank you, it worked!
Imagus
Level 3
Level 3

Return to Newbie Questions