Chrome UI glitching up intermittently?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
Linuxism

Chrome UI glitching up intermittently?

Post by Linuxism »

First I just want to say thanks for all the help with my previous questions regarding RAM upgrades and Linux. I just got my Mintbox Mini hooked up and am loving the OS, I would say I'm officially a convert to Linux. And I upgraded the RAM to 8GB without any difficulty, thanks for the advice on that guys.

But I am experiencing a weird problem with Chrome browser. I prefer chrome since I have a lot of things through Google and would prefer to keep using it but I will have to revert back to Firefox if this continues. Basically what is happening is every few minutes the entire browser will start to graphically glitch up like crazy. Maximizing then minimizing will fix it but it just keeps happening over and over. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this? Thanks.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Chrome UI glitching up intermittently?

Post by richyrich »

Try this. In the advanced settings in Chrome's preferences, uncheck the "use hardware accelleration.."
Linuxism

Post by Linuxism »

Ok thanks... I'll let you know if that works.
Linuxism

Post by Linuxism »

Thanks, that did work. But now Chrome is running a little slow. A little laggy I guess. I have upgraded my RAM to 8gb and installed all the proper updates for Mint on my Mintbox Mini too, the computer is really fast, I can run programs like Kodi and stream HD movies without any issue, super fast UI and no problems whatsoever. So why can't I keep hardware acceleration turned on without Chrome completely exploding? Firefox runs fine, but I prefer chrome. Is there some sort of work around possibly? Because I want to keep using Chrome but I want to keep hardware acceleration enabled without having to minimize and maximize the window every two minutes because the UI is graphically exploding. If you guys can think anything I would appreciate it, thanks again!
I2k4
Level 5
Level 5

Post by I2k4 »

I suggest taking a look at these adjustments under the hood:

http://digiwonk.wonderhowto.com/how-to/ ... r-0155989/

I've found #1-#3 and #5 make a difference on Chromium, and should work on Chrome.
TRUST BUT VERIFY any advice from anybody, including me. Mint/Ubuntu user since 10.04 LTS. LM20 64 bit XFCE (Dell 1520). Dual boot LM20 XFCE / Win7 (Lenovo desktop and Acer netbook). Testing LM21.1 Cinnamon and XFCE Live for new Lenovo desktop.
Linuxism

Post by Linuxism »

Thanks! I'll give that a try.

Return to “Beginner Questions”