Shutdown problems

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Shutdown problems

Postby flying_monkey on Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:51 pm

Forum members,

I'll apologize in advance if this has been answered already, but I looked in both the Mint and Ubuntu forums and tried everything I found there, with no results.

I'm running Felicia with Xfce on an old IBM Thinkpad T20. It runs quite well, no complaints. The problem comes when I try to stop running. I see the same thing no matter which shutdown method I use. I can use the Menu and Quit, or I can open a terminal and type
sudo shutdown -P now. In either case, the screen immediately goes black, and the system will stay in that situation longer than I have patience to wait. There is no text, no blinking cursor, and no progress bar, but I can see that the screen backlight is still on behind the black screen. Eventually, I have to hold down the power button for several seconds to get it to shutdown. And then, it's not really shut down. I can leave it in this state under my bed when I go to sleep, and I'll invariably find that it's powered itself back on, and then gone to the same black screen condition when I wake up. Also, when it's trying to shutdown as described above, I've tried to get to a terminal by typing CtlAltF1, or F3, or anything and nothing happens.

Help!
Edy
flying_monkey
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Shutdown problems

Postby Old Marcus on Mon Dec 08, 2008 11:48 pm

Linux Mint 8 RC1 = Nice
'apt install' can be used on Linux Mint as a shortcut for 'sudo apt-get install'. 'apt x' can be used for various other apt commands as well.
When a problem is solved, please add [SOLVED] to your thread title.
Old Marcus
Level 4
Level 4

Postby flying_monkey on Tue Dec 09, 2008 8:26 am

Thanks, I'll try that when I get home tonight. I'm not optimistic, though, because his symptoms are a bit different than mine. He gets to the splash screen, and sees the loading bar emptying, while my screen goes black _instantly_ when I give the command or click the shutdown button. I already had the last line as he lists it, but that's the first I've heard of the mousepad line.

Ed
flying_monkey
Level 1
Level 1

Postby flying_monkey on Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:20 am

Well, after trying the suggestion above unsuccessfully, I found something interesting, which may bear on the problem. I had the thought that maybe if I went to a text console and did the shutdown, I'd get to see where it was hanging. So, I hit ctl-alt-F1, and instantly the screen went black, just like at shutdown, and could not get it back. I know the computer was still alive, because the light on the PCMCIA wireless card was blinking. Does this give any clues? I need to edit my grub.conf file and take the "quiet" out of the start command, maybe that way I'll see something, but, again, I'm not optimistic, because I've done that by editing the line at startup to do the same thing for one session, and still never saw the shutdown text go by. Where is this stuff stored so that I can go look at it the next time I start?

I also tried
ifconfig eth0 down
ifconfig eth1 down

with no success. eth1 is where my wireless card shows up.

TIA,
Ed
flying_monkey
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions