If Hibernate then why not sleep?

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
orkohunter

If Hibernate then why not sleep?

Post by orkohunter »

Hi,
I don't want to shut my pc down. And Hibernating is not my option. How can I send it to sleep mode or something?

Thanks in advance.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
MagicMint

Re: If Hibernate then why not sleep?

Post by MagicMint »

If you know where to hibernate, you know how to suspend too. There are several possibilities:
  • via the Power Button› Suspend (when the power switch is configured to ask),
  • in the Panel› User Applet› Log Out› Suspend,
  • in the Menu› Quit› Suspend, or
  • in a Terminal› sudo pm-suspend,
but the last one requires your password.

Suspending this way makes only sense if you have a desktop computer which is always connected to the power line, because in a laptop, the battery will eventually dries empty, and the machine will hibernate anyway (if properly configured — otherwise it will just switch off the hard way and you’ll possibly lose data :( ). But even so, suspend mode always consumes some energy, hence it’s always better to make the computer hibernate if you won’t use it for a while as the hardware is totally switched off then.

Waking up from hibernation takes certainly longer than from suspend (depending on the size of your RAM), but it’s still way faster than booting anew — and your session is preserved the same way as in suspend mode.

Return to “Beginner Questions”