Changing Screen Resolution on Craptop

All Gurus once were Newbies
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Please stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions prefer the other forums within the support section.
Before you post please read this

Changing Screen Resolution on Craptop

Postby kdaesung on Tue Dec 09, 2008 6:35 am

Hello all. Hi, I'm Kristopher. I'm relatively new to Linux. I've used it in the past, but today was the first time I successfully installed it on my crappy lappy. I was super stoked to say farewell to Windows. After the installation of Linux Mint Elyssa XFCE, I'm stuck in 800x600 resolution. I can't seem to figure out how to change the resolution to 1024x768 as my screen supports. Normally, I wouldn't be bothered so much, however, on this machine I've got a black border around the screen on anything other than 1024.

Now, I've done some searching and found some information. I've attempted to change my
Code: Select all
etc/X11/xorg.conf
with no luck unfortunately. I'm just not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Whenever I reboot my computer I get a crazy colored screen then it tells me that I'm running in low graphics mode. I'd really like to stop that craziness from happening as well. If it helps I'm running a Sony Vaio PCG-R505JL and I have a Intel based VGA. Not sure if I need new drivers or what, but any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance, hopefully I'll be able to find some resolution to my resolution problem. Cheers:D
kdaesung
Level 1
Level 1

Linux Mint is funded by ads and donations.

Re: Changing Screen Resolution on Craptop

Postby Kestrel1 on Tue Dec 09, 2008 4:54 pm

Go to Administration - Hardware Drivers & see if there is a propriety driver listed. If there is install it.
Kestrel1
Level 1
Level 1

Re: Changing Screen Resolution on Craptop

Postby kdaesung on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:20 am

Thanks, however, It tells me that there are "No proprietary drivers in use on this system." Is there anything at all I can do, or is Linux Mint just not going to be compatible with my laptop?
kdaesung
Level 1
Level 1

Return to Newbie Questions