Left Side Panel - linuxmint-17.1-cinnamon-64bit

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
banasw01

Left Side Panel - linuxmint-17.1-cinnamon-64bit

Post by banasw01 »

Hello,
I just installed Linux Mint 17.1 Cinnamon 64bit. I can figure out most of the stuff I want to do with it, or I know where to look for information. However, I can't seem to find any way to move my bottom (or top) panel to the Left side of the screen. In Windows I can do this easily by unlocking the panel and dragging it from the bottom of the screen to the left side of the screen. I set it to "auto hide" and make it about 2 to 3 inches thick (so that I can see the names of the programs that I'm running). How can I do this in Linux Mint? (I'm pretty sure I have Gnome) Back when I first tried Linux (in like year 2000 or so) I remember being able to add extra panels to Gnome, top/bottom panels and side panels too. How come I can't seem to do this now? *** I looked at Cinnamon and Mate screen shots and I could not find any with side panels on both left or right side of the screen.
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
Ark987

Re: Left Side Panepl - linuxmint-17.1-cinnamon-64bit

Post by Ark987 »

I have a single 16:9 monitor and I'm also interested on something similar but on the rightside of the screen.

Is there any way to do this?
mkg3103

Re: Left Side Panel - linuxmint-17.1-cinnamon-64bit

Post by mkg3103 »

Hi
I am also interested in finding the way to implement side panel whether left or right. As due to addition of some useful applets on panel , little space remains vacant if we are running softwares or multiple documents opened.
I request forum administrators to comment on this post and if they seem it is not posted in right Sub forum then please guide us where to raise the query..

Return to “Beginner Questions”