Trying to get download to work

Quick to answer questions about finding your way around Linux Mint as a new user.
Forum rules
There are no such things as "stupid" questions. However if you think your question is a bit stupid, then this is the right place for you to post it. Stick to easy to-the-point questions that you feel people can answer fast. For long and complicated questions use the other forums in the support section.
Before you post read how to get help. Topics in this forum are automatically closed 6 months after creation.
tomflkey

Trying to get download to work

Post by tomflkey »

I have windows xp and am trying to replace it with Linux mint. I downloaded 17.1 (it took about 1 hr). The download was successful and the file is there. Now what do I do so that I can run Linus Mint AND that it will automatically come on when I turn my computer on instead of Windows XP?
Last edited by LockBot on Wed Dec 28, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Topic automatically closed 6 months after creation. New replies are no longer allowed.
richyrich

Re: Trying to get download to work

Post by richyrich »

The User Guide is the best place to learn how to properly install Mint. In the link below choose which desktop you downloaded (Cinnamon, Mate, Xfce...)

http://www.linuxmint.com/documentation.php

Good luck, and please feel free to come back to the forums if you have any questions.
UKGibbo

Post by UKGibbo »

Hi
Hope nobody minds me giving my 2 penny worth
Ive been using Linux Mint as a replacement for Windows for a few months now and understand how difficult everything Linux seems when you first start and have been used to Windows so if i can help i will

If you have downloaded Linux Mint 17.1 to your computer you need to either burn it to a cd in an ISO file format or better still stick it on a USB to allow you to boot your Computer to get Mint Installed
Heres what i wrote down step by step when i was first installing Mint on my old XP laptop On my initial Linux Journey it may help (the instructions are for Mint 13 but will be the same for 17.1 MATE ..which i have installed on my main Laptop in Place of Windows 7) I was completely new to Linux having been on Windows for 15 or so years I am not a tecchie or that into computers and was wary of Bios screens etc and had read about Command Lines and such being the norm on Linux and that was daunting

This is my complete newbies guide to trying a Live USB Linux distro I tried so many but had problems with my Wifi not being recognized (Apparently it’s a known problem with Dell Computers , wireless and Linux I read its all to do with the Broadcom Wifi ..this was easily fixed on my system
Most other Computers (Ive installed now on Acer and HP and they were fine and worked straight off

Anyway have a read it may be of some help its just a step by step Guide of what I did, hopefully it may be some help its very basic as that’s what I was looking for when I was trying various Linux Distros It does when reading it seem alot of faffing about and seem Complicated at first but it really is pretty easy

What you’ll need is A COMPUTER /A USB stick 2GB or bigger and a couple of free downloads
THIS IS WHAT I USED
Dell Inspiron 6400 Laptop (previously with XP Professional ) with 1GB ram
USB Stick 16gb (but any USB over about 2gb will be fine )

Firstly Download Universal USB Installer look up pendrivelinux.com/
(Works with Windows Only as thats all I had when XP finished getting Updates ...it was handy for something)

I Downloaded Mint 13 Maya XFCE (Its a long term release supported Until 2017)
The XFCE desktop I read was lighter on resources for Older Computers Like Mine (although i have just installed Mint 17.1 MATE and it runs very well
http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=113 this is the 32 Bit version for older Computers
Pick a Download site nearest to where you are make sure you download the correct one for your computer 32bit will probably be the one for you if you are migrating from XP and have an old Computer

Its about a 800mb or so download so will take some time whichever one you choose
Once downloaded Save the File To your desktop or somewhere so it is easy to find

Insert your USB
(If you have any files on the USB that you are using for the ISO file and you want them ,save them somewhere as you will lose them all once formatted ..

The USB can either be Formatted by you by right clicking the USB stick and click format ) or this can be done when setting up the Bootable USB

Find your USB stick START/MY COMPUTER and look for your USB name or drive letter mine for example is “E” but yours may be different
MAKE A NOTE OF WHAT DRIVE LETTER YOUR USB IS CALLED as you will need to remember it

Run USB installer (Note there are full instructions on the site ) But the ones here should be easy enough to follow

Step 1) Pick the Operating system from the drop down menu on the Linux USB Installer it will be about ¾ of the way down and you will see Mint

Step 2) Click Browse on the USB installer to where you downloaded the Mint ISO File (on your desktop or downloads..wherever you chose and Click it

Step 3) Select your USB flash drive letter on the USB installer you may have to click the box marked “Show all drives” be careful MAKE SURE ITS YOUR USB YOU ARE SELECTING(thats where remembering the drive letter is important)

Step 4) If you just want to test Mint and save any changes you make when you are playing about with it slide the slider on the part that says set a persistent file size for storing changes to however much you want ....the more to the right the more changes you can make and save

The process for making the USB Bootable will probably take about 15-20 minutes or so if you chose the persistent file option (Its not important to do that it just allows you to make changes if you want to when using Mint as a Bootable) if you just want to install Mint dont bother with it

Once the process is finished close the USB installer and leave it in your Computer
Now Turn off your Computer (Click Start /Turn off Computer/Restart )
and then however you get into your Bios screen (again mine is done by pressing F12 repeatedly when the Computer starts (Have a look on the net to see how your Boot Menu works) ) when the computer is restarting you will get a screen asking you how you want the computer to start up, As you want it to start with the ISO file on the USB or cd you have just made ..Choose USB or Storage device option or cd and press the enter button

If all has gone according to plan then you should see a screen with Mint on it (be patient the screen will be black for a bit ..about 20-30 seconds ) and an option (It should be the top option that says Run live install ,
Click enter you can then try it from there I just played about with it , to me its not that far removed from Windows it has loads of free software pre installed .You can make changes to it if you chose the set persistent file Option when making the USB safe in the knowledge no harm will be done to your computer! It will run alot and i mean ALOT slower than if you install it on your computer as its on a USB
Trying Mint this way will check if you can connect to your wifi easily without any problems and just have a play about with it and get used to it

If you want to Install Mint permanently then click the Install Mint Icon on the desktop and follow the Instructions It really is very easy to Install and will take about 10-15 minutes
Ensure you are connected to the net with an Ethernet cable
Choose Operating Language
Choose ERASE DISK AND INSTALL LINUX MINT If that is what you want to do a (Bear in mind this will erase Windows XP for good )
or you can install Mint alongside XP if you dont get along with Mint you can still use XP..Im sure you wont want to go back!
Then Click INSTALL NOW and follow the instructions (For example when it asks do check your keyboard set up by typing a few things like Numbers Caps and @ signs etc just to see if they work
Choose your country when the WHERE ARE YOU Box appears
Keyboard layout screen choose your country
Who are you..Choose a name a computer name (you can choose anything or leave it at default and choose a logon password Remember this Password its Important!! if you choose require my password to log on
Once you have done all this then it will copy files and install the system takes about 10-15 minutes
Once this is done a box will come up and tell you to reboot
Remove your USB or your CD whichever method you chose to install Linux Mint
And thats it

the only problem i had with MINT 17.1 on my old HP laptop was the Graphics were Huge they worked fine when trying it on USB but installing to Hard drive just didnt work THAT MAY JUST HAVE BEEN MY LAPTOP i solved that by downloading and installing Mint 13 Maya which is supported until 2017
Installing Linux once you have done it is easy and takes about 10 minutes whatever distro you use
The people on the Mint Forums are extremely friendly and quick to reply (usually within hours or the next day and have been so helpful with all my very basic questions) and are much more knowledgeable than me
You can also use the net to search for solutions to any problems i found most solutions to my problems on the net
Bear in mind it is slightly different than Windows and will seem to be daunting at first but persevere with it and you will love it and if you mess anything up you can always re-install it takes no time at all
You will Honestly wonder why you would want to go back to Windows
Last edited by UKGibbo on Sat May 09, 2015 3:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tomflkey

Post by tomflkey »

Thank you for your help. There is a lot of detailed (I do appreciate all of the details) information and it will take me a while to
do all of theses steps, so I will be busy and probably will not be getting back to this forum any time soon. Thanks again.
UKGibbo

Post by UKGibbo »

tomflkey wrote:Thank you for your help. There is a lot of detailed (I do appreciate all of the details) information and it will take me a while to
do all of theses steps, so I will be busy and probably will not be getting back to this forum any time soon. Thanks again.
No Problem It does seem a lot when written down step by step but it really is pretty easy to do even for a novice Linux user such as myself .. once you have done it it becomes easy!!

Return to “Beginner Questions”